Raspberry Pi Thread.Sleep Causes 100% CPU Utilization

1. 5 days ago

Alex B

Nov 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada
    Edited 5 days ago

Hello everyone, got another weird one for you. Any ideas why Thread.Sleep would be causing 100% CPU usage?

Basic Raspberry Pi 4 ARM desktop app with a thread added to Window1 with:

Sub Run() Handles Run
      Do 
        System.DebugLog("Test!")
        Me.Sleep(1000)
      Loop
    End Sub

and "Thread1.Run" in Window1's open event.

Am I doing something wrong? I would expect this to basically do nothing? Funny thing is that running other stuff in for say the event loop, will cause the CPU usage to go down. I did check that it is actually waiting 1000ms with the call to System.DebugLog.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. Alex B

It would also appear that Thread.Suspend does the same thing. The only way for me to sleep a thread is to kill it and then resume with a timer.

3. Scott C

Nov 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Vancouver, Canada

What happens if you use App.SleepCurrentThread(1000) instead of Me.Sleep(1000)? Do you get a different result?

Just curious.

4. Alex B

@Scott C What happens if you use App.SleepCurrentThread(1000) instead of Me.Sleep(1000)? Do you get a different result?

Just curious.

Same Issue sadly ;(

5. Kevin G

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Gatesheed, England

This sounds like an issue I reported a long time ago against 32 bit Linux. The problem was worse on single core CPU but was still too high on multi-core CPUs. Unfortunately, I couldn't work around the problem.

I've just checked Feedback and I cannot seem to find the case I logged (i'm sure Feedback isn't listing all cases).

I did find this one from several years ago relating to MS-Windows so I guess there are some general gremlins with how sleep has been implemented.
    Feedback Case #30159

6. Alex B

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada

@Kevin G This sounds like an issue I reported a long time ago against 32 bit Linux. The problem was worse on single core CPU but was still too high on multi-core CPUs. Unfortunately, I couldn't work around the problem.

I've just checked Feedback and I cannot seem to find the case I logged (i'm sure Feedback isn't listing all cases).

I did find this one from several years ago relating to MS-Windows so I guess there are some general gremlins with how sleep has been implemented.
    Feedback Case #30159

After finding out that Thread.Suspend does the same thing, I took another look at the feedback and found this:

Feedback Case #56420

or Sign Up to reply!