F.NAME is changing the file type?

I’m a little baffled by this. Finishing up some updates for a work project and I had to introduce F.NAME to rename images after they are processed through the application. Ok, so it changes the name just fine.
But I noticed that afterwards, the file type changes from TIFF => “TextEdit.app Document”.
Any idea what is causing this to happen?

I know it’s doing something weird because photoshop won’t even recognize the file after the renaming has happened.

What is the file name, INCLUDING EXTENSION that you change the name to be?

unlike in days past, a filename no longer officially defines the type of data in a file (or at least it shouldn’t)… It might give a clue to the end-user… but the applications should verify the contents itself before attempting to read or write it. That being said… what do you mean by “it is changing the file type”

Only if they ask the OS to display the file extensions…

Michael: what is the answer to Jeff question ?

Emile… the point is the filename (with or without an extension) does not define the contents of the file

Sorry I’ve been away from my desk for the day.
So I am dragging (mainly) Tiffs onto the window. It then displays certain metadata that we use internally. And then goes and changes the name of the original files based on our naming conventions.
Basically, image1.tiff => prefix_19_image1.tiff.
But after it renames the images, the file type goes from Tiff => TextEdit.app Document

Before:
link text

After:
link text

Do you mean the FILE ASSOCIATION? this is the app the by default opens the file…

but just changing a filename should not disrupt any of that

you are dropping the extension

Before: image1.tif
After: VNDR_19_image1 (and no file extension)

That’s what you get - the expected result.
Just name the output file: VNDR_19_image1.tif - and you get the result you intend to get.

There is no longer such a thing. It’s the file extension (.png, .tif, .tiff, .jpg, .jpeg, …) that makes the (biggest) difference. Without any, macOS (as well as other Operating Systems) just doesn’t know what to do. So it’s default suggests to (try to) open that with TextEdit.app

[quote=461955:@Jürg Otter]Before: image1.tif
After: VNDR_19_image1 (and no file extension)

That’s what you get - the expected result.
Just name the output file: VNDR_19_image1.tif - and you get the result you intend to get.

There is no longer such a thing. It’s the file extension (.png, .tif, .tiff, .jpg, .jpeg, …) that makes the (biggest) difference. Without any, macOS (as well as other Operating Systems) just doesn’t know what to do. So it’s default suggests to (try to) open that with TextEdit.app[/quote]

Thank you Jürg! I didn’t even realize that the file extension was left out!! It’s always the little things that I overlook!

And thank you Dave. You were first.
Sorry Jürg - I had to take back my “mark question answered” and give it to Dave.

Hmm. :slight_smile:

Just for Jeff :slight_smile: