editor snippets

1. last week

Erwin M

Nov 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Netherlands

Hi Guys,

When writing code we are always trying to avoid duplicated code.
    But repetitive code is always needed...

Example: property pointing to a parent object you want to convert to a weakref....
    I use computed property like :

If mDbController<>Nil then 
      If mDbController.Value<>Nil Then 
        Return mdcApp.AppDbController(mDbController.Value)
      Else
        Return Nil
      End If
    Else
      Return Nil
    End If

Without starting a discussion about the code it self or my laziness, my question is : What kind of editor snippet tool do you guys using to make life easier?? (as Xojo IDE don't have this feature)

I have tried to use a Corsair keyboard with macro keys, Although it's a great keyboard and you can put text under a macro key... Xojo IDE can't keep up the speed of typing of this keyboard :-(

So I missing text, and with corsair you can't define variables to fil in when putting the snipppet in place.

I can write my own snippet editor .... but it can't be the case that I'm the only one that is looking for this kind of tool..
    So are we all looking for a good snippet editor or has somebody found it already (and is willing to share) ??

By the way, I'm using windows (so no mac only solutions needed ;-) )

Thanx for the help ...

2. Paul B

Nov 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, Somerset)
    Edited last week

Qsnipps for me, works with many languages also and full syntax highlighting. qsnipps2

3. Sascha S

Nov 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany, Lower Saxonary

Keyboard Maestro and Quiver

4. Tanner L

is not verified Nov 4 Pre-Release Testers Toronto, Canada

+1 for KM. Also, Dash has an excellent snippet manager with quick and simple macro editing and triggering.

Oops. just saw you wanted Windows only. Sorry. Will leave post for posterity ;)

5. Joost R

Nov 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

I prefer Evernote, even without syntax highlighting, which would be arbitrary in the transition phase with API 1 and API 2 anyway.
    Benefit of Evernote is that I have everything, in fact my whole life, at the hand on every device I own, and second, not inconsiderable, the fact that I can add graphics, notes and files to each note. Indexing of text and within files works great and
    last but not least, I can simply share named chapters and and notes with fellow developers and visa versa, which enables teamwork and building a shared library.

or Sign Up to reply!