Transitioning to Xojo 2019r2

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 weeks ago

Bob K

Oct 31 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Kansas City

@Geoff P You're not listening to us. You keep telling us how we should be using the product and we're telling you we can't use it that way. We've offered several suggestions that might help but you seem to have rejected them out of hand.

I'm Tired of arguing for what I need. We've been nice about it because we *need* Xojo to succeed. For several of us our businesses depend on Xojo. I would think listening to your oldest customers (usually Xojo's biggest supporters) would be to your benefit. You are not and that's forcing us to rethink our business relationship.

You think this argument is going away. It will not. It will just get uglier.

3. Markus R

Oct 31 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe / Germany
    Edited 6 weeks ago

You're not listening to us

how about a video chat meeting until all of you find a good solution which get a implementation. (crisis meeting)

if this event renaming is the real problem (as example) just make it undone.
    make (add) a remark in the event instead that all can understand the meaning and put it on the consistent wish list.

4. Dave S

Oct 31 San Diego, California USA
    Edited 6 weeks ago

@Markus R if this event renaming the real problem just make it undone.

Trust me.... the developers who have been using Xojo for a while, and are members of this and other Forums have suggested that (and other things) OVER AND OVER again.... .some since well before API2.0 was ever released

just put a bell around the cats neck

5. Markus R

@Dave S OVER AND OVER

sometimes you need to be most obstinate "sehr hartnäckig".

6. Ron B

Oct 31 Pre-Release Testers

About 3 hours ago, I posted a request for help/advice and included a snippet of code that worked on 2019r1.1 but not on 2019r2.

Has anyone had a chance to look into it ?

7. Norman P

Oct 31 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro under a bus
    Edited 6 weeks ago

on this thread ? I dont see any here
    nm scrolled right past it

whats "App_Parent" referring to ? what path ?
    and on what OS and version ?
    those are all relevant

8. Ron B

Norman - Running on Windows 10 for this test. Application built with 2019r1 is also running on MacOS and Linux.

App_Parent is a FolderItem that identifies the Parent Path for the executable. It is set in the Main Window's Open Event as follows:
    App_Parent = App.ExecutableFile.Parent

9. Norman P

permissions would definitely be an issue

basically dont try and write or delete files in protected areas
    definitely on macOS this _might_ have been allowed before but wont be now
    Windows usually would fail unless the person is an administrator or some other privileged user

I'd use SpecialFolder.ApplicationData and that would almost certainly get rid of the issue

10. Ron B

Norman - The application resides in a folder created at installation. The application creates and deletes files routinely in that folder. I normally run in out of a folder in MyDocuments.

I don't believe that the issue here involves permissions as it has been executing flawlessly for years. The main issue here is that the existing code does not execute properly under 2019r2 but executed well under 2019r1.1.

I have been experimenting a bit with the code and found that closing the DataBase before deleting the file seems to solve the issue.

If ( Data_DB <> Nil ) Then
      Data_DB.Close()
    End If
    data_db_file = App_Parent.Child( "Data_DB.sql" )
    If ( data_db_file.exists ) Then
      data_db_file.Delete()
    End If
    Data_DB = New SQLiteDatabase
    Data_DB.DatabaseFile = data_db_file
    If ( NOT Data_DB.CreateDatabaseFile() ) Then
      MsgBox( "Database File Creation Error:  " + Data_DB.ErrorMessage )
    Else

However, this leaves me with two concerns:

1. Is this the proper way to hanlde this ?
    2. What else worked under 2019r1.1 but not under 2019r2 and does not raise an error ?
  11. Dave S

Oct 31 San Diego, California USA

It is NEVER a good idea to store data files of any kind in the same directory as the application.
    this has been discussed many many times in various topics on this forum

12. Norman P

@Ron B However, this leaves me with two concerns:

1. Is this the proper way to hanlde this ?
    2. What else worked under 2019r1.1 but not under 2019r2 and does not raise an error ?

ok god yes close the db before trying to delete it
    and that is safe to do in either 2019r1.1 or r2 and probably should always have failed before

13. Ron B

Dave & Norman - Thanks for the advice. YES, in actual use, the files are stored in a separate subfolder. On MacOS and Linux, the default is a folder in User/<Documents> and on Windows the default is s subfolder in C: but many users also install to MyDocuments and add subfolders to that folder.

My earlier goal was to post a small snippet that could be tested easily - deletes the file in 2019r1.1 but does not delete it in 2019r2.

Now that these errors have been fixed I need to start looking at other significant changes. I use several threads and also a Serial Port. I'd like to transition to 2019r2 soon but can see several months of work to complete the coding changes and complete QA retro testing. The serial port sends and receives over 20 different types of data strings that contain encoded RF Frequency data in ASCII and Hex form - both little endian and big endian - and makes heavy use of Left, Mid, Right functions. I need to be very careful in handling the switch from Mid to Middle.

I very much appreciate your replies and am pretty sure I'll be back for more.

14. Norman P

you do realize that you dont HAVE to "port" your code ?
    and that there still seem to be some interesting bugs in API 2 that do not exist in the classic API ?

15. Ron B

Norman - I 'THINK' I understand your point and understand that I could just stick with 2019r1.1 for as long as needed.

However, i also have a couple other concerns. I like to stay up to date with the latest development environment and take advantage of new items. It also appears that the documentation links all go to the latest release. So, if coding in 2019r1.1 I want to find documentation on something, it may well take me to a page telling me it has been deprecated.

I'm planning an update release this weekend that will be built with 2019r1.1 and will then save that version and start looking into other issues presented by 2019r2. It seems that eventually, I'll have to switch to the new paradigm or go to an alternative development system.

16. Anthony C

Oct 31 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store GraffitiSuite Developer
    Edited 6 weeks ago

OK, folks. I just had a 45 minute long meeting with Geoff and Travis. What I can say is that a future version of Xojo will get us a resolution on the issue with Events. I'm confident after our discussion that the path they're taking will get us there.

As for Properties, that's a much more difficult proposition, and if a solution to that can be had, I'm not sure of its feasibility. We discussed, but it's a very complicated problem. They had some ideas, and I made some suggestions, but the ball is in their court to find and implement the best one. They do want to address these issues in a way that helps those of us feeling this pain, they just have to find the right route to take.

In short, after speaking with them, I feel much better about where future versions of Xojo are going to lead us, and about our ability to support older versions of Xojo. The most encouraging part, and one I hope you'll all join me in, is that Geoff and Travis are open to addressing any and all issues that they can feasibly address, and are paying attention. I feel that they have a better understanding of how third-party developers have to support their customers now, and I hope they come up with some great solutions to our collective quandaries.

17. Norman P

@Ron B Norman - I 'THINK' I understand your point and understand that I could just stick with 2019r1.1 for as long as needed.

you could use 2019r2 and just NOT "update" code to the new api's as well

18. Ron B

Norman - Yes, I could. However, I've already found one thing (actually about five instances of the same) that do NOT work correctly and do not cause error flags or exceptions and can't help but believe that there are others. I don't want release an update only to get hit with several error reports.

19. Markus R

@Anthony C OK, folks. I just had a 45 minute long meeting with Geoff and Travis.

Great!

20. Norman P

@Ron B Norman - Yes, I could. However, I've already found one thing (actually about five instances of the same) that do NOT work correctly and do not cause error flags or exceptions and can't help but believe that there are others. I don't want release an update only to get hit with several error reports.

use 2019r1.1 and be happy with it until the bugs in 2019r2 are sorted out ?

21. Edited 6 weeks ago

@Norman P the change from 1 based to 0 based causes a need to parse the line and then rewrite the params as well :(

That's definitely is my biggest Gotcha when conversion from API1 to API2.

In the past, I was able to do something like

ChildPathName = GetFolderItem(oldpath).child("Child").name

Now I have to rewrite as two lines. That's not too big an issue as I am getting the hang of it now.

It would be nice if those Open --> Opening Events can be automatically handled.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!