Transitioning to Xojo 2019r2

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 months ago

Joost R

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@Anthony C OK, folks. I just had a 45 minute long meeting with Geoff and Travis. What I can say is that a future version of Xojo will get us a resolution on the issue with Events. I'm confident after our discussion that the path they're taking will get us there.

There should have been a lot more pro-active communication from Xojo-team to the very well known hard core users in the run up to API 2.0.

3. Tomas J

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)
    Edited 5 months ago

I've heard a new verb recently.

to brexit (British English), to say goodbye without leaving, can be repeated and extended several times

reminds me somehow to the transition from API 1.0 to 2.0 ;-)

4. Tim S

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers Canterbury, UK

@Tomas J I've heard a new verb recently.

to brexit (British English), to say goodbye without leaving, can be repeated and extended several times

reminds me somehow to the transition from API 1.0 to 2.0 ;-)

No, that's "to brino" (brexit in name only).

5. Tomas J

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)
    Edited 5 months ago

... as far as you don't farage....

(to farage, to hold a loaded gun towards own head and push the trigger)

6. Emile S

Nov 1 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

all of this is boriss me (a contraction using Boris as in the first name of the first and hiss from the snake [Borlaugh ?]).

To be honest, this is really bor…ing.

And what to think about the rampant lyings (the NHS will never saw the light of the promised money !)

Grrrr :(

7. Anthony C

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store, Forum Moderators, MVP GraffitiSuite Developer
    Edited 5 months ago

Please don't stray off-topic guys. That will get our threads shutdown again. We don't need another locked thread that is actually generating useful discussion.

8. Peter G

Nov 1 Boston, MA

As a potential new user, Anthony C's meeting described above sounds like good news to me.

9. Norman P

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air

It is better than silence

10. Norman P

@Anthony C OK, folks. I just had a 45 minute long meeting with Geoff and Travis. What I can say is that a future version of Xojo will get us a resolution on the issue with Events. I'm confident after our discussion that the path they're taking will get us there.

Color me EXTREMELY skeptical.
    We raised these concerns during the 2019r2 betas
    We were told during the beta "there will be an answer we're working on it"
    And we all hoped
    Another beta came out. And we all hoped that what came out wasnt "it"
    Another beta came out. And it was apparent that was it
    2019r2 shipped
    The complaints persisted and have resulted in several threads on the forums

And now we're being told, yet again, "there will be an answer we're working on it"

I remain VERY VERY cautiously optimistic

This problem is one of Xojo's own making and literally didnt have to exist or require yet more engineering effort to "fix"
    I suspect I am not alone

11. Dave S

Nov 1 San Diego, California USA

@Norman P I suspect I am not alone

You are not

12. Gavin S

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Forum Moderators, MVP UK
    Edited 5 months ago

I'm not angry about API 2.0. I'm glad they're trying to keep the IDE and language modern and I generally have the freedom to update to API 2.0 when I'm ready, and I won't be doing that until this whole thing settles down. I'm more frustrated because I can't remember the last-time Xojo added something really pragmatic and useful to the product - an actual feature or control that I can put into my projects and that my end-users can appreciate.

Xojo seems to be struggling to modernise and we're paying for the underlying modernisation of the product (which is vitally important) rather than stuff I can use in my apps. I need iCloud integration and in-app purchase stuff and a whole host of other stuff that users simply expect in 2019. Actual stuff I can put into my projects. That's why I got into Xojo in the first place. A RAD environment. Can we get back to that stuff soon? I have money waiting for you guys when you start adding big end-user features again.

13. Dave S

Nov 1 San Diego, California USA

Seriously... if you want to mention features that are "important" (my opinion) that Xojo just seems to be ignoring that they are even required? Xojo should include a native way to Sign/Harden/Notorize (whatever) your app... Of course dependant on supplying Signing Creds etc.... (sorry Sam....)

14. Alexis C

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Puerto Rico, USA

My opinion is API1 or API2 or API3 is perfect but need to works.
    Now i am try to make a simple customer signature in iOS and no works. so this is basic thinks in any application with canvas it works in desktop but no iOS.

So no happy face for me

15. Markus R

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe / Germany / Lower Saxon...

@Gavin S an actual feature

as Example a build in easy to use Camera Class or QR/Barcode Reader or something?

16. Markus R

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe / Germany / Lower Saxon...
    Edited 5 months ago

@Gavin S I need iCloud integration and in-app purchase

that did never work in code once and apple would change it daily same as google.
    but i like to have some kind of functions modules.
    cloud yes but a neutral system that you can also self hosting.

17. Gavin S

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Forum Moderators, MVP UK
    Edited 5 months ago

@Dave S Seriously... if you want to mention features that are "important" (my opinion) that Xojo just seems to be ignoring that they are even required? Xojo should include a native way to Sign/Harden/Notorize (whatever) your app...

Absolutely. Of course. And it could be done, it's not rocket science. The two examples I chose just popped into my head. I could fill a thread with things that I expect a modern RAD environment to offer me. But the years keep ticking by...

Should these modern/expected features be at the expense of modernization of the IDE and language? No. So it seems self-evident to me that, despite the defensiveness, Xojo Inc is simply wildly understaffed.

18. Ivan T

Nov 1 Pre-Release Testers

@Gavin S Xojo seems to be struggling to modernise and we're paying for the underlying modernisation of the product (which is vitally important) rather than stuff I can use in my apps. I need iCloud integration and in-app purchase stuff and a whole host of other stuff that users simply expect in 2019. Actual stuff I can put into my projects. That's why I got into Xojo in the first place. A RAD environment. Can we get back to that stuff soon? I have money waiting for you guys when you start adding big end-user features again.

As many said in other threads, vote with your money. Since Web hasnt really gone anywere and the limite ios is not an option, I droped PRO last year.

@Norman P And now we're being told, yet again, "there will be an answer we're working on it"

I remain VERY VERY cautiously optimistic

This problem is one of Xojo's own making and literally didnt have to exist or require yet more engineering effort to "fix"
    I suspect I am not alone

@Gavin S Xojo seems to be struggling to modernise and we're paying for the underlying modernisation of the product (which is vitally important) rather than stuff I can use in my apps. I need iCloud integration and in-app purchase stuff and a whole host of other stuff that users simply expect in 2019. Actual stuff I can put into my projects. That's why I got into Xojo in the first place. A RAD environment. Can we get back to that stuff soon? I have money waiting for you guys when you start adding big end-user features again.

So, this year I think Im going to skip even the Desktop one until I see that promised "fix" for api 2, web 2, or a substancial adition to the "RAD environment" / framework.

19. Alexis C

My subscription is pro and i keep this way to help grow XOJO but is one more year, if i do't see fix for web and desktop then left XOJO and go with any other IDE or compiler.

But i have hope the XOJO going to Fix All in last the two year

20. Norman P

hope springs eternal

21. Alexis C

Norman that Sound no to good for some customer like me

or Sign Up to reply!