Experience with dosdude?

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Dave S

Nov 5 San Diego, California USA

@brian f Dave,

I will watch the video again as I plan on trying this weekend

Will for sure report if fail or success and my steps if successful

did you manage to find time to try this?

3. Simon B

Nov 5 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

I am interested, too!

4. brian f

Nov 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

Sorry for the late reply. I found some time this past Sunday to try but as others in the YouTube comments I kept getting the corrupted installer error

I want to try a couple of Ideas but will not have time again until later this week or weekend

5. Dave S

Nov 5 San Diego, California USA

Thanks..... that is exactly why I didn't want to try and untangle the YouTube videos myself.

6. 7 days ago

René L

Nov 6 Pre-Release Testers Ratingen, Duesseldorf, Germany

Hello,

i just installed Mojave on to my Macbook Pro 15" inch from Mid 2010 (MacbookPro6,2) using a Stiick created by the Mojave Patcher Tool 1.3.5.

I still have to Test some things, For now seems it's is working....

7. 6 days ago

Simon B

Nov 7 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

@RenéLandscheidt i just installed Mojave on to my Macbook Pro 15" inch from Mid 2010 (MacbookPro6,2) using a Stiick created by the Mojave Patcher Tool 1.3.5.

Did you do a clean install of your MacBook or an upgrade?

By this I mean did you reformat your MacBook hard disk during the installation process?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to reformat my hard disk, just upgrade to Mojave.

Simon.

8. René L

Nov 7 Pre-Release Testers Ratingen, Duesseldorf, Germany
    Edited 6 days ago

@Simon B Did you do a clean install of your MacBook or an upgrade?

By this I mean did you reformat your MacBook hard disk during the installation process?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to reformat my hard disk, just upgrade to Mojave.

Simon.

Hello,

I did an Upgrade Installation. So all Software an Data was keep'd in Place. So i installed it without formating the Harddrive.
    Till now i have not found something that's not working right. But i also have not tested everything.

9. Simon B

@RenéLandscheidt I did an Upgrade Installation. So all Software an Data was keep'd in Place. So i installed it without formating the Harddrive.
    Till now i have not found something that's not working right. But i also have not tested everything.

That's what I wanted to hear!

I want to update my work machine and did not want to try it until I had heard that it was not a huge issue. I have already created the Mojave USB drive so can boot up into Mojave on my mid-2011 iMac but have just not clicked on the update button yet.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro (2019) but my iMac is the mid-2011 model and is the one I work on all day. I don't have an old mac that I can try the upgrade on and am a little worried that I could end up with an unusable iMac that I rely on daily.

Please report back when you have more thoroughly tested the functioning of your upgrade.

Thank you!

Simon.

10. René L

Hello,

remeber after Installation & Upgrades (that includes the Security-Update Packages) to boot into the patcher to reaply the Patches. At least after my "Security"-Update my Macbook would not boot again until i reaplied the patches.

11. Simon B

Thank you, I did remember that it was a two-part update.

Simon.

12. Dave S

Nov 7 San Diego, California USA

Due to to how complex (relatively speaking) and how seeming fragile this process is.... I think I'm going to stick with just using a 2nd boot drive on a newer Mac for now...

13. René L

Edited 6 days ago

Hello,

Sorry was on Mobile - for a while. Back at the Office now.

That what i was eluding to was the the 2nd Part off the "Patched" Installation has to be repeated after every MacOS Update.

For example after Installing - used the MacOS Software Update to Install the newest Security Update for MacOS Mojave. let it reboot and came back wondering why it would not boot again. Then reboot again with the Stick (didn't check if the Patcher is now also available in the Recovery Mode) and did the Patch again - only after this it would boot again. The Other Updates (Epson Driver) and App from the AppStore worked without Problems.
    Ok. The MacPorts thing i reinstalled manually again - with out checking if it was still working....
    The Rest seems to work without Problems (Java, Flash, Office, Xojo, usw.)

14. Simon B

That answers an outstanding question for me.

So, I think I will try the update this weekend.

Thank you for the time you have taken with this, very much appreciated.

Simon.

15. Jean-Yves P

Nov 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Simon B That answers an outstanding question for me.

So, I think I will try the update this weekend.

Thank you for the time you have taken with this, very much appreciated.

Simon.

don't forget to backup BEFORE updating, a nice time machine full backup ...

16. Philip C

Nov 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Cooroy, QLD, Australia

I had a go on my old MacBook Pro. I created a bootable USB without any problem. The process completed and said everything was fine. However, I could not install as I had an after market SSD drive I had installed to replace the one that failed. I suspect the partitioning was a problem as I couldn’t reformat the entire drive to the correct format. I will try again when I have time.

17. 5 days ago

Simon B

Nov 8 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

My iMac has MacOS Journaled and I understand that Catalina requires APFS (I think that is the name). As I am not going to reformat my iMac drive the latest that I can update to is Mojave.

From what I have read both here and on-line is that I can just update rather than reinstall. That is what I will be doing.

Simon.

18. Emile S

Nov 8 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Simon B the latest that I can update to is Mojave

And I think its file system is unreadable under boot on previous macOS…

So, if it is the built in hard disk, no problem, but an external HD, beware. You will not be able to read the data on that disk if you boot on prior macOS versions (High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, etc.).

19. Michel B

Nov 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro RubberViews.com
    Edited 5 days ago

I would be very careful upgrading on a work machine with that hack.

We are talking something akin to hackintosh, where the system believes it is running on a supported Mac, but for instance graphic acceleration is not there. As a result, display may be extremely poor, and other strange things may happen with IO.

I have a late 2011 iMac which cannot go further than High Sierra, so it would be tempting to use unsupported methods to install Catalina.

I also have a MacBook 2015 which I upgraded to Catalina. Guess what ? I was unable to correctly sign and notarize under Catalina. So I installed Mojave on an external drive, and was able to notarize just fine.

At present, I am looking for more recent used iMacs, perhaps 28". If all goes well, I should be able to buy one eventually, and upgrade to Mojave. I need a work machine that does not go bizarre on me because it was hacked.

20. Emile S

Nov 8 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Well said: Shlomo wisdom.

21. Simon B

Nov 8 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

@Michel B I would be very careful upgrading on a work machine with that hack.

We are talking something akin to hackintosh, where the system believes it is running on a supported Mac, but for instance graphic acceleration is not there. As a result, display may be extremely poor, and other strange things may happen with IO.

I have a late 2011 iMac which cannot go further than High Sierra, so it would be tempting to use unsupported methods to install Catalina.

I also have a MacBook 2015 which I upgraded to Catalina. Guess what ? I was unable to correctly sign and notarize under Catalina. So I installed Mojave on an external drive, and was able to notarize just fine.

At present, I am looking for more recent used iMacs, perhaps 28". If all goes well, I should be able to buy one eventually, and upgrade to Mojave. I need a work machine that does not go bizarre on me because it was hacked.

This is why I asked the question originally.

My iMac is a workhorse and I use it all day long. The real issue was a specific piece of software that I use for work, Notability. I have an iPad Pro and a brand new MacBook Pro which all run Notability perfectly as they are both new machines. However, my iMac is an older machine and Notability stopped working correctly after Mojave was introduced and I could not update my iMac. This meant that I could not use Notability properly on my iMac so had to have either my MacBook Pro or iPad Pro next to me all day and they take up desk space. That is why I looked for a solution and dosdude seemed to be the answer.

Since then I found that I could install High Sierra on my iMac and that I did natively. Following that update Notability started working properly again on my iMac, thereby negating the main reason I needed to upgrade. By that time, though, I had already asked the question here and have been thinking about doing the upgrade anyway.

Michel, your answer now brings back the same concerns that I had originally. As it is a work machine and I rely on it every working day I think I will not undertake the upgrade now, but will certainly consider it when I eventually replace it.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. It is really good to have great people here giving their unbiased opinion to help others - I really appreciate it.

Simon.

or Sign Up to reply!