MBS Xojo Conference: Thursday

Good Morning
If you stay in this hotel, please enjoy breakfast.

Our room is on the lobby level and you enter the pippin room through the hallway left from the elevators.

We start at 9 o’clock.

Coffee and soft drinks are available all day in the lobby in front of the conference room.

Take a look at the room before the conference:

The temperature is already high and we even not started yet. Within a few minutes Geoff will open this conference with his keynote.

Geoff is holding his Keynote now.

The first thing he will tell, I hope for sure: Android is here!

Android 2 is not here as yet. Most of the work has been on bringing about API 2.0 which will bring a consistency across targets including Android. There will be a 2019r2.1 release in next week or so but no date for Android as yet.

For Android there will be a separate presentation tomorrow.

Would be nice if some of the Cologne members could bring us up to date like @Kem Tekinay did at XDC‘s. Interest to read about more details about Geoffs Keynote etc.

@Reinhard Blumauer did a great presentation about TipControl.

@Jeremie Leroy showed us how to make better iOS apps.

and now Michael Dettmer shows his generator to convert database structure into source code to generate his apps from database.

My short take from Geoff’s Keynote:

2019R2 is out now

2019R2 will work with your existing projects.
There are three options to the upgrade path:

• Upgrade all your code at once
  • Upgrade incrementally
  • Don’t upgrade at all (for old projects)
    Xojo will use option 2 for their own projects and upgrade incrementally (when refactoring and where it makes sense)

Two important changes

• FolderItem.AbsolutePath
  • TCPSocket.Error Event

API 2.0 currently is for desktop projects, other platforms will follow

Everything is now 0-based unless specifically stated to be not 0-based (for instance due to the requirements of a call to an external platform)

2019R2.1 will becoming with some bug fixes (beta probably next week)
After that there will be a beta for r3 which will contain Dark mode for iOS apps

Once you implement the new events from 2019R2 there is no going back. (but that has always been like that, if you used a new function from a certain RealBasic/Xojo version then you cannot go back to a version that did not contain that functionality)

There are now iterator for:

• Dictionary
  • FolderItem.Children
  • OpenFileDialog.SelectFiles
  • Rowset
  • URLConnection.ResponseHeaders
  • Listbox (coming soon)

There are new treading API’s to let you interact with the UI from a thread (AddUserInterfaceUpdate in the thread loop to pass a value and code in the thread’s UserInterFaceUpdate event)

There will not be many big refactorings to the Xojo API like this one.

Things currently in development at Xojo are:

• Dark Mode for iOS (work done)
  • Web Framework 2.0
  • Android
  • Interops - iOS
  • IDE navigation
  • Plugins made in Xojo

The following things will transition:

• Web Framework 2.0 - API 2.0
  • Android - API 2.0
  • iOS - API 2.0

There will be a lot to show at Xojo Connect in Nashville.

a method you could work around by using #if XojoVersion (same as a new or removed property & just about anything else EXCEPT the rename of an event)
the event rename you cant do this
they are different in kind and impact

Dinner tonight is in Höhnerstall, a party location here in Cologne.

Please meet in the lobby at 18:00 o’clock, so we can walk over together.

[quote=460024:@Norman Palardy]a method you could work around by using #if XojoVersion (same as a new or removed property & just about anything else EXCEPT the rename of an event)
they are different in kind and impact[/quote]

I posted what was mentioned :wink: (at least how I understood what was mentioned)

yeah sorry for the side track - its just a comment I’ve heard several times

About 10 are missing tonight?
Please come to Höhnerstall yourself if you missed the group walk.

We are upstairs in the room.
Downstairs is another party.

[quote=460024:@Norman Palardy]a method you could work around by using #if XojoVersion (same as a new or removed property & just about anything else EXCEPT the rename of an event)
they are different in kind and impact[/quote]

Changing the event names is unlike ANY change that has happened in my 18+ years of using the product… To characterize it differently IMO ether shows a total misunderstanding of that or is dishonest (sales talk).

• Karen

either one is not good

Thanks everyone for coming to the dinner!
Have a good night.