Serial - Connect to Scale

Hello,

I have a Mettler Toledo USB scale that I’d like to connect XoJo to.
I can enumerate the serial ports but I don’t see the scale when I list the serial devices.

The scale connects with USB. Could this be the issue. I see “bluetooth incoming port” and my bt headphones. That’s all…

Do you think I need one of those USB to Serial adapters?

[quote=459148:@Rob Hallock]
The scale connects with USB.[/quote]
USB and SerialPort aren’t the same unfortunately.

No, you can connect to USB with MBS if you want to.

ok thanks Tim.

but… do you know why the SerialDevice class would see these bluetooth devices that are not serial devices (or are they serial…)…

Some USB devices present as serial “com” ports in the OS, others as HID, others as MIDI, and so on. It depends on the USB device class(es) that the driver implements. Your scale may well be a HID; maybe there’s an MBS class for talking to it that way, but cracking its protocol may not be trivial.

thanks @Julia Truchsess - I think I’m going to try one of those USB to Serial adapters - I have one laying around somewhere… won’t hurt to try. We use them on Windows … maybe it will work.

All the USB to serial devices Ib’ve ever seen work by plugging the USB connector into the computer and the serial connector into the device. Unless your scale also has an RS232 port (or RS422 or RS485), this isn’t going to work.

What is the model number of your scale? There may be some drivers that you can download from Mettler Toledo.