String.Bytes

LenB got deprecated in favor of String.Bytes.

What is Bytes? a memoryblock for the string?

Why not CountOfBytes?

Ok, APIs are diffcult to manage.

While “undeprecating” Aloe Express I also changed some code:

• no brackets after method/functon call -> annoying like in Delphi!
  • dim x as string = "dfgdg" -> never ever combine declaration and definition
  • a = 1 bdfgsddg = 2 erte = 3 -> no line-up of “=” in source code -> no one will ever read the code again?
  • not all dims at the begin of the method -> Xojo will hoist them either, won’t it?

This is also funny:

//loop over keys For Each Key As Variant in Headers.Keys -> unnecessary comments;-)

Important is that things still work after 100 undeprecations!

Whatever the docs say

Do you see CountOf used anywhere else in the docs?

Personal preference of the kind person that put the code out in the public domain for free.

[quote=458624:@Hans-Norbert Gratzal]a = 1
bdfgsddg = 2
erte = 3 → no line-up of “=” in source code → no one will ever read the code again?[/quote]

Same as above, might also be running a reformatting script that overrides those non-functional “pretty” layouts. Personally I’d rather they code than spend time aligning comments to look pretty, but hey, personal preference I guess.

One word, scope and see above

[quote=458624:@Hans-Norbert Gratzal]This is also funny:
//loop over keys
For Each Key As Variant in Headers.Keys → unnecessary comments;-)[/quote]

Impressive, someone wanting less comments.

I look forward to seeing your Pull Request to the Aloe-Express github so I can publicly judge your contribution and ultimately your personal coding style… rollyeyes

Sorry all, this just hit a nerve, hard, with a big hammer.

I knew this and didn’t want to offend anyone.

There was a good example from the old VB6 days: never ever use one line ifs.
No need to explain here why.

So, anyone can think about these things if they are valid or not.
And, as I said before, I really apreciate the great work in Aloe Express which is not only syntax at all, of course.

[quote]Personally I’d rather they code than spend time aligning comments to look pretty, but hey, personal preference I guess.[/quote] → what You mean is hacking, not coding; code is read more often than written…

Comments, no line ups, one line-ifs, etc. are all code noise; that means, code is difficult to read.

[quote]
I look forward to seeing your Pull Request to the Aloe-Express github so I can publicly judge your contribution and ultimately your personal coding style…[/quote]
As I have finished the undeprecation for Aloe Express today, I have still left much code/methods untouched where no deprecations were found.

I will not upload anything; it’s not my source but from Tim Dietrich.
I don’t want to be responsible for an error I embedded by changing things…

Finally, You are right: coding is a very personal thing; people immediately feel offended when given “tipps”.