Catalina + Color Panel

While testing my code against the select color bug in 2019r1.1 i tried using the mbs plugins NSColorPanelMBS to replace it.
Ran it a few times and decided to remove support for the color picker.
Problem is now when ever the app starts up, debugger, compiled (on a different machine), even previous versions from an installer, the color panel appears whenever the first window is shown, namely the splash screen.

It appears to be registered against the app that the color picker needs to be shown and i have no idea how to stop it.

Any idea?

hmm, i deleted a Library\Caches\[Bundle Identifier] folder and retried the debug version, and it stopped showing.

I put it back and it did not start showing again… I Love computers!

I started seeing that problem last year. I have several projects using the usual Xojo-based

dim c as color = someColor if selectColor(c,"") then //do something end if someColor = c

Some projects (both in the debugger and in built apps), after showing the palette and quitting, re-opening them would show the palette. Other projects would not.
Yet same code…
Mojave and Xojo19r1.1

This is SOP for using the Asynchronous color picker, it stays open until the user closes it. Which in all honesty is a mixed bag, because the color picker loses the connection to the NSColorWell, so when most users try to use the color picker, nothing happens until they select the NSColorWell again. I assume that there’s a way to make the NSColorWell persistent, but I don’t know it.

It only happened after I played around with the MBS NSColorPicker. Even after a reboot it was appearing.

Stopped now, so everything is fine …

You can disable it on launch by checking to see if it’s open, and if so, then closing it. If you’re using the MBS plugin, check the docs.

I’ve made a simple test with the TextEdit application (from and running El Capitan):I displayed the COlorPicker windoid, select text, click in a color, change the front window, select a text and click in a color:
in both cases, the selected text color was changed.

I don’t know what the secret sauce is with an AppKit application. Last time I looked, it was a magic thing that was handled behind the scenes.

Note: This behavior is tied to the application identifier, so if you use something generic then you first start an app, the color picker will appear ever after when you Run in Xojo until you physically close it.

As I said in a previous post:
if selectColor(c,"") then
//do something
end if
Both in debugger and in built apps with specific app-identifier, (Mojave Xojo2019r1.1), after calling the above code, selecting a color and closing the palette or just closing the palette, then quitting the app, re-opening the same app the color palette shows up.
But as I said, this happens for some apps, while it doesn’t happen with other apps. Yet all the apps make use of the same piece of code. That’s why I did not bother to share this issue on the forum.

[quote=457592:@Emile Schwarz]I’ve made a simple test with the TextEdit application (from and running El Capitan):I displayed the COlorPicker windoid, select text, click in a color, change the front window, select a text and click in a color:
in both cases, the selected text color was changed.[/quote]
the text field listens for the notifications the color picker sends out