Unable to save in Xojo 2019r2

1. 2 months ago

Richard N

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers

I've updated a large app in 2019 r2 and I can't save.

The message pops up "Unable to create temporary file. (Error code: 0)

What's this?

2. Kimball L

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Meridian, ID, USA

Can you save it as a new project at a different location in your file system?

3. Richard N

Also...

Nope. Same everywhere.

4. Richard N

OK, reopened the file after unable to save without error and the project lost reference to HALF of my external items.

I'm getting a bad feeling....

5. Richard N

For anyone looking to try 2019r2, I have this advice...

Be EXTREMELY careful. Make absolutely sure that you have duplicated and backed up ALL external classes that may be hiding in your large apps. When 2019r2 saves it will overwrite any external items and they will no longer be able to open in pre-2019r2 Xojo. You may rename your project file, but that won't protect your external classes.

Increment your project name with each save. I am seeing Save failure modes that I've never seen pre r2. With potentially catastrophic data loss. In the case I mentioned above, I've just had every canvas-based control on a large app lose reference to its external class and also lose tab-panel page assignments requiring large amounts of work to restore.

Buy more storage. R2 project files are FIVE TIMES the size of R1.1 files. One project of mine was 23meg in R1.1 and now 137meg in R2. That's a bit astounding.

I know some of this is SOP but it's worth a reminder!

6. Scott C

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Vancouver, Canada

It is really unfortunate that you've been having problems Richard, I feel for you. Been there in the past for sure on some really painful tool upgrades.

I did want to mention, that I've been working hard the past week or so at rewriting my Desktop apps to be all API 2.0 compliant. And I haven't seen any significant difference in project sizes. Admittedly my projects may not be as big as some others, but I do use a lot of graphics - so my projects are not tiny.

But maybe my upgrade methodology is likely different than yours. In my case I start with a new blank 2019r2 project, then just copy objects one at a time from the old into the new, "analyze" and tweak the code according to the deprecation warnings, save, ensure I can run that new bit, then repeat until I'm done.

Note: I am also saving in the source-control friendly "text" project format.

I hope you get things resolved. Good luck.

7. Beatrix W

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

Save your file type icons externally. Makes a ton of difference in saving. I haven't seen an increase in size either.

8. Greg O

Oct 10 Xojo Inc scout.galaxy.barn

@RichardNicolella For anyone looking to try 2019r2, I have this advice...

Be EXTREMELY careful. Make absolutely sure that you have duplicated and backed up ALL external classes that may be hiding in your large apps. When 2019r2 saves it will overwrite any external items and they will no longer be able to open in pre-2019r2 Xojo. You may rename your project file, but that won't protect your external classes.

Increment your project name with each save. I am seeing Save failure modes that I've never seen pre r2. With potentially catastrophic data loss. In the case I mentioned above, I've just had every canvas-based control on a large app lose reference to its external class and also lose tab-panel page assignments requiring large amounts of work to restore.

Buy more storage. R2 project files are FIVE TIMES the size of R1.1 files. One project of mine was 23meg in R1.1 and now 137meg in R2. That's a bit astounding.

I know some of this is SOP but it's worth a reminder!

Richard, did you just Save or did you use Save As?

9. Richard N

Oct 10 Pre-Release Testers

I did Save and SaveAs - same result. Any way to see whats causing this huge bloating?

10. Sascha S

Oct 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany, Lower Saxony

@RichardNicolella I did Save and SaveAs - same result. Any way to see whats causing this huge bloating?

Compare the before and after results with a Diff tool?

11. Greg O

Oct 10 Xojo Inc scout.galaxy.barn

@RichardNicolella I did Save and SaveAs - same result. Any way to see whats causing this huge bloating?

The reason I asked is that Save As converts everything to 2019r2 and above. Just doing a regular Save should not be doing that.

12. Richard N

Oct 10 Pre-Release Testers
    Edited 2 months ago

I tried both with the same results. I just tried it again - duplicated an R1.1 project file on disk and renamed it. Same size s original. Then opened new one in 2, and tried first Save, then SaveAs. Made no difference. Huge each time.

23mb vs 138mb

13. Brock N

Oct 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I'm having similar issues with saving. And when I do SaveAs it doesn't give me the option to change the project type. It needs to be source control friendly but will only save as a "xojo_binary_project" :(

14. Sascha S

Oct 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany, Lower Saxony

@Brock N I'm having similar issues with saving. And when I do SaveAs it doesn't give me the option to change the project type. It needs to be source control friendly but will only save as a "xojo_binary_project" :(

Any Xojo on Catalina? Check your Licenses. May have been recognized as a new Machine.

15. Dave S

Oct 10 San Diego, California USA

I just loaded an older 2016 project, and converted it to R2... source code size went from 8.2meg to 8.9meg and it has dozens of images

16. 2 weeks ago

Josh H

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I'm having this bug too with external classes. I've tried EVERYTHING under the moon to try and fix it. I haven't figured out how to. Any luck?

Feedback Case #58409

17. Jeff T

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers Midlands of England, Europe

If its Catalina, you may need to give Xojo full disc access.

18. Josh H

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Oh believe me, that's one of the countless things I've tried. Including resettling ACLs, removing extended file attributes, trying new user accounts, reinstalling Catalina from scratch. The list goes on and on and on.

19. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!