Xojo R2 Reviews

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 days ago

Jürg O

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Joost R "When you create a project, it should ask you "API v1 or API v2" and that's it. "

Such a "per Project API Switch" has been suggested again and again during the Betas... and it always got turned down.

@Joost R I would encourage the Xojo team to read all the blogs been written about R2, conduct a substantive discussion about R2 internally and reconsider the next steps to be taken in order to accommodate us.

Let's hope Xojo will at least listen to to "public comments/reviews" about their product... they could have prevented much of this public noise since we all have mentioned these (productivity and other) issues during the long Beta...

3. Björn E

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Iceland

@Jürg O Such a "per Project API Switch" has been suggested again and again during the Betas... and it always got turned down.

Let's hope Xojo will at least listen to to "public comments/reviews" about their product... they could have prevented much of this public noise since we all have mentioned these (productivity and other) issues during the long Beta...

This might not be option for them, I am guessing the design is far off from being able to separate frameworks so you can choose.

4. Joost R

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@Björn Eiacute;ksson This might not be option for them, I am guessing the design is far off from being able to separate frameworks so you can choose.

Here in NL we have a saying which is translated to English something like this: "better half turned than completely wandered"

5. Norman P

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

@Björn Eiacute;ksson This might not be option for them, I am guessing the design is far off from being able to separate frameworks so you can choose.

Not really
    Its not much different from "do you want to build a desktop app, web app, console app or iOS app" which also use different frameworks

6. Joost R

@Jürg O "When you create a project, it should ask you "API v1 or API v2" and that's it. "

I suggest we launch a referendum and the result is what needs to be done.
    I vote: YES

7. Jürg O

Edited 4 days ago

@Joost R I suggest we launch a referendum and the result is what needs to be done.

That means: someone needs to add a new Feature Request for such an "API 1 | 2 | 1+2" per Project Switch/Option (or is there already an "official/public one"?).
    If it goes into the Top 20/10, Xojo will have to to at least reconsider in more detail the user's needs.
    I'd certainly add points to it....

Edit: Here you are: Feedback Case #57885

8. Kem T

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

I have no idea what the internals would require, but I'll point out that you cannot switch, for example, a desktop app to a web app, or a console app to a desktop app.

9. Jürg O

Edited 4 days ago

@Jürg O That means: someone needs to add a new Feature Request for such an "API 1 | 2 | 1+2" per Project Switch/Option (or is there already an "official/public one"?).

Here you are: Feedback Case #57885 A per project setting: API 2 | 2+1 | 1
    Please add your thought on what is needed/important to you...

10. Norman P

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

@Kem T I have no idea what the internals would require, but I'll point out that you cannot switch, for example, a desktop app to a web app, or a console app to a desktop app.

The manifests are obviously different
    Thats one big impediment
    Compatibility flags could be used to take care of much of the rest

11. 3 days ago

Martin T

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers Germany

I want to see Xojo get to a point where it makes sense for me to give it another go - and I'll happily do that if and when it reaches that point. But until then, I've had to move on.

Tim Dietrich also wrote about Xojo 2019r2: Xojo in 2019: An Update

12. Joost R

@MartinTrippensee Tim Dietrich also wrote about Xojo 2019r2

Again, a sad story. We may lose a genius, which Tim really is.

13. @Bob K — Thank you for that review. As I am not part of beta-develoment, I had no idea about what API 2.0 was. Now I do and I hate it already! It is so unnecessary when hundreds of important bugs have been ignored by Xojo for YEARS !

It is really beyond my understanding!

14. Gijs R

Oct 14 Rotterdam, Netherlands

Appreciate the effort the team put into R2. I am flexible enough to adapt.

15. Paul R

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kirkland, WA

@Gijs R Appreciate the effort the team put into R2. I am flexible enough to adapt.

I'm guessing you don't have a million lines of API 1.0-based code to manage...

16. Kem T

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

I have a suggestion that will address some of this:

https://forum.xojo.com/56367-suggest-api-1-0-deemphasized-instead-of-deprecated

17. Jürg O

@Gijs R Appreciate the effort the team put into R2.

So do I.

@Paul R I'm guessing you don't have a million lines of API 1.0-based code to manage...

Most likely, we do.

And while I appreciate the start and idea of API 2, I consider this just a start. And hope Xojo will provide us further improvements to continue working with an existing codebase. On the one hand to continue with API 1 only (and get less "fuss" about what's not intended to use right now), on the other hand to better get an overview (improve Analyze Output) and provide safe migration helpers (e.g. select a whole "issue-block" such as Label.Text -> Label.Value, which will replace all at once as long as it's safe - that's what a global search&replace can't guarantee).

Feature Requests for all that are in place... let's see how much more productivity (and also "code safety") the next release will bring for those with existing codebases.

Currently, it's all nice and good for new projects or newly created code. So a good start. But having more productive ways for existing customers/projects/codebases is missing - which doesn't mean we won't get that ever. So I continue appreciating API 2. But won't use it for now myself. I wait a bit more to see what works and what no longer works, and until there are new features allowing to continue working productively with our projects.

18. Emile S

Oct 14 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    Edited 3 days ago

Good and Bad new for xDev Magazine:

a. Yes ! Plenty of new entries have to be done ! ;)
    b. All previous work is now useless… :(

19. Thomas P

Edited 3 days ago

Has anyone experienced a speed issue with larger projects opening? We are experiencing a substantial slow down by 3 times.

Project Loading 2019r1.1
    Windows10 - 1 min 14 seconds
    MacOS Mojave - 1 min 4 seconds

Project Loading 2019r2 - This is after the project was opened, edited, saved, and closed multiple times.
    Windows10 - 3 min 18 seconds
    MacOS Mojave - 3 min 10 seconds

Debug run also takes an additional 10-20 seconds with 2019r2.

This has been timed on various machines, but varies by very little.

20. Jürg O

@Thomas P Has anyone experienced a speed issue with larger projects opening? We are experiencing a substantial slow down by 3 times.

Yup. Feedback Case #57372 (visible to PreRelease Testers)
    This case has been closed because the behavior described is not a bug.
    And I won't write what I'm thinking about that ;)

21. John F

Oct 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Omaha, Nebraska

@Jürg O Yup. Feedback Case #57372 (visible to PreRelease Testers)
    This case has been closed because the behavior described is not a bug.
    And I won't write what I'm thinking about that ;)

It may not be a bug, but I think it's definitely something to consider should you move to r2. More lost time watching a progress bar. Not fun and NOT productive! One of the main reasons I started using RB/Xojo was because of productivity gains... slowly but surely, that seems to be disappearing.

or Sign Up to reply!