Catalina

Seems the public release happened about 30 min ago (10amPST)
but based on the previous horror stories, it may be a dozen dot releases before I’m brave enough

I say 10.15.38 should be safe enough :wink:

pessimistic aren’t you… I was thinking 10.15.25 myself.

hell week begins :stuck_out_tongue:

That all being said… anyone know a safe procedure to DUAL boot a 27" iMAC
so I can put Cat on another partition or even better yet and external boot drive? (I have a 250gig herer someplace)

I have it on an external plus several more versions
Can boot back ro 10.10 or run them in a VM as needed
VERY handy to have a machine you can do that with

How can I download it without it wanting to automatically install it?

It is in AppStore at https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12

but that triggers the System Update, and I want it on an external and leave Mojave alone

the download doesnt auto install it from what I know
once it downloads it will start the installer and at the point you can install to an external

[quote=456850:@Norman Palardy]the download doesnt auto install it from what I know
once it downloads it will start the installer and at the point you can install to an external[/quote]

That’s the way I have always done it, have 10.11 , 10.12 and 10.13 on external drive and a partition waiting for 10.15.38 :wink:

It triggered the SYSTEM UPDATE dialog, which I thought just did its thing automatically

Sorry… but I’m paranoid :slight_smile:

[quote=456852:@Dave S]It triggered the SYSTEM UPDATE dialog, which I thought just did its thing automatically

Sorry… but I’m paranoid :)[/quote]

Better to be paranoid then click happy :slight_smile:

I agree with you, the install process was really weird and felt like I was going to overwrite my system the whole time.

I clicked Get from the App Store and it opened Software Update. It said install, I think. So for fun, I clicked Get again, and it offered to Download. Very different from past years.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/how-to-make-your-own-bootable-macos-10-15-catalina-usb-install-drive/

Ok… any idea how LONG an install of this POS should take?
I took a 250g external HD, formatted it clean… and TWO HOURS later, the progress bar moved 1/4" and stopped. Luckily because it was an external drive, I just aborted it, and rebooted back to Mojave.

I think Mojave took like 45min or less

But Catalina is looking worse and worse by the minute.

Too many downloads…

has nothing to do with the install speed… since the image was already downloaded, and it was doing its first “reboot”

Can someone on the release build of Catalina (19A583) please try SelectColor() with Xojo2019r.1.1 and let me know if it still crashes on the second call?

Hoping it does not, but if so I’m bracing for support calls and embarrassingly will not be able to release a compatible build.

I hate this.

Oh, gosh. Now the phone is going to ring, but not for sales :frowning:

This problem get that answer some times ago (September 20, 2019):

It’s been fixed in the next version of Xojo.

here .

And, you may just have to wait some hours / days (who knows how long - not me - to get when) / to get that version.