Catalina

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Kevin G

Oct 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Gatesheed, England

@Michel B I am going to investigate further, but one of my apps is apparently unable to write to the temporary folder under Catalina.

Hi Michel.

There do appear to be some weird problems with the temporary folder in Catalina when older file system APIs are being used. Basic testing seems to indicate that Xojo 2019r2 would address both issues.

These are the two issues we are seeing:
    1. Files written to the temporary folder by application 'A' cannot be read by application 'B'.
    The console reports a sandbox violation error which according to Apple should not be happening.

2. Files copied into the temporary folder that have extended attributes such as com.apple.FinderInfo cannot be accessed correctly afterwards.
    Up until beta 9 we were seeing sandbox violation errors if the application / file with the attributes wasn't in the Applications folder. With beta 9 / release, the problem is worse as it does not matter where the file is located and the sandbox violation has been replaced by some kind of read failure.

Both problems were reported to Apple during the beta programme with the second not even getting a single reply. I guess they don't really care about compatibility / stability any more.

3. Markus W

Oct 8 Pre-Release Testers #JeSuisHuman New Zealand, Auc...

@RichardAllmendinger Thanks, Julian. Guess that means I'll have to pony up for another Xojo upgrade. I was hoping to stretch out 2019r1.1 a bit longer Sigh...

You could get the MBS plugins which would be cheaper and give you MUCH more power.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s better to have a “not too buggy” Xojo combined with MBS than the newest Xojo without MBS as MBS provides not only many more features than a Xojo upgrade but they are faster and more stable too.

4. Dave S

Oct 8 San Diego, California USA

FINALLY..... last night I tried installing it on a bus-powered USB drive (laptop HD)....
    today I took a desktop drive in a wall powered caddy.... and it installed just fine (30 minutes or so)

5. Rob H

Oct 8 Canada

For those who have successfully installed Catalina, are there any problems with XoJo 2019r1.1:

beyond the mentioned issues of:

• SelectColor() on the 2nd call
    • FolderItem.Launch

??

6. Rick A

Oct 8 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. GMT-3:00)

@Rob Hallock list of mentioned issues

● SelectColor() on the 2nd call
    ● FolderItem.Launch
    ● SpecialFolder.Temporary

● ...

7. Michel B

Oct 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro RubberViews.com

FolderItem.Launch, depends what you want to launch. Launching documents seems to work just fine.

You probably will have to wait for 2019R2 to launch apps.

8. Sam R

Oct 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Rob H For those who have successfully installed Catalina, are there any problems with XoJo 2019r1.1:

None of these are Xojo issues, but are issues that arise with Catalina.

If you use any AppleScript, you now need to check that the user has allowed your application to execute Apple Scripts, and handle it if they've decided that your application shouldn't use Apple Script.

If your application uses NSUserNotifications, there's no way I know of to check if the user has allowed or denied these, so you can't rely on them to display information to the user anymore. This I think is pretty poor, because the user is asked before your application even shows them a Notification, so the user has no way to quantify if your app is using it to display Spam or useful information, the ramifications is that most developers I know who use this, are rolling their own solution which just makes things really messy and doesn't actually solve anything.

If you use Apple installers, the process has can display 4~5 allow/deny dialogs, which is tiresome. I am working on a solution for my own update system (as I have an idea on how to prevent this when downloaded from your own application).

If you use NSDictionaries or NSArrays, you now need to check and make sure that the object you receive actually matches what you expect. If the docs say it returns a NSArray of NSStrings, you need to check that each entry is actually a NSString. Starting with 10.14.6, some API returns NSNull objects instead of what you expect. Some developers say that this is a bug, but I've gotten no official word from Apple.

This is only what I've come across, there are many other issues that I've seen Obj-C and Swift guys talk about, but don't affect me.

9. Kevin G

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Gatesheed, England

@Michel B FolderItem.Launch, depends what you want to launch. Launching documents seems to work just fine.

You probably will have to wait for 2019R2 to launch apps.

LaunchServicesOpenXMBS seems to work okay for launching applications with documents.

Dim launchServicesParamsObj As LaunchServicesLaunchParameterMBS

launchServicesParamsObj = New LaunchServicesLaunchParameterMBS
        launchServicesParamsObj.Defaults = True
        launchServicesParamsObj.Application = pApplicationFolderItem

Call LaunchServicesOpenXMBS(Array(pDocumentFolderItem), launchServicesParamsObj)
  10. Jeff T

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers Midlands of England, Europe

How are people handling requests from customers with old software who complain that Catalina has 'deleted' it and it's 'our fault'?
    (I've had two today already who last bought/upgraded 6 years ago and baulk at talk of an upgrade fee.)

11. Javier M

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store AprendeXojo - Europe, Spain
    Edited last week

Hi @Jeff T ,

The first thing I do as user is making sure that the software I depend upon still works in the new OS version and, if not, check for the availability of a new version that adds support for it…

Maybe one thing you can do is to put a notice (or maybe in the "version Log") about the latest compatible OS release. This is a very common practice.

Javier

PS: Maybe this is a bit off-topic for this thread?

12. Beatrix W

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

I told my users multiple times to update to the latest version. My comment of the day is:

Multiple error with macOS Catalina. All permissions have been given to the application.

And nothing else in his message to me.

13. Jeff T

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers Midlands of England, Europe

>>PS: Maybe this is a bit off-topic for this thread?<<

Fair. Maybe I'll start a new one.

14. Sascha S

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany, Lower Saxonary

I also have my experiences with customers on Catalina and will write in a new Thread about it once 2019 2 has been released. :)

15. Lars L

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany, Chemnitz)

Hey,

I recently updated to Catalina.

Now the Xojo cannot run web projects anymore. In the IDE it seems to be running, but in the browser the site is not accessible.

16. Emile S

Oct 9 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Wait for the Xojo 2019r2 release, it may be Catalina compatible.

17. Michel B

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro RubberViews.com

@Kevin G LaunchServicesOpenXMBS seems to work okay for launching applications with documents.

Dim launchServicesParamsObj As LaunchServicesLaunchParameterMBS launchServicesParamsObj = New LaunchServicesLaunchParameterMBS launchServicesParamsObj.Defaults = True launchServicesParamsObj.Application = pApplicationFolderItem Call LaunchServicesOpenXMBS(Array(pDocumentFolderItem), launchServicesParamsObj)

Thanks, but it is not necessary. I tested 2019R1.1 (and before, actually), to reliably open documents with launch.

However, launching applications is broken under Catalina. Even shell cannot launch apps.

My little finger told me that it could be fixed in 2019R2, though ;)

18. Kevin G

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Gatesheed, England

@Michel B Thanks, but it is not necessary. I tested 2019R1.1 (and before, actually), to reliably open documents with launch.

However, launching applications is broken under Catalina. Even shell cannot launch apps.

My little finger told me that it could be fixed in 2019R2, though ;)

I can't explain what you are seeing but the sample code I provided works for us on Catalina in the following scenarios:
    • launch an application without a document
    • launch an application with a document
    • open a document in an already running application

19. Michel B

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro RubberViews.com

At any rate, launch works perfectly under Catalina with 2019R2, just released.

20. David M

Oct 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

As I've said before, my release software built with Xojo 2018r2 has no problems launching one application from another in Catalina. It's simply using folderItem.Launch

21. Emile S

Oct 9 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@David M Xojo 2018r2

?

or Sign Up to reply!