Drawpicture quality

A few years ago, Sam posted some declares that allowed one to create higher quality interpolations when resizing using Drawpicture

I thought I had read that Xojo had incorporated that as parameter for DrawPicture in release 2018 or 2019

But I cannot find any reference… Am I hallucinating?

This? https://documentation.xojo.com/api/graphics/graphics.html#graphics-antialiasMode

yes

BTW - that doesn’t mean that you WEREN’T hallucinating :smiley:

just because I’m not paranoid, doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get me either :slight_smile:

If you mean the men in black suits you claim to see outside your residence now and then, those are just Apple special agents making sure you are not spending to much time on your IBM compatible PC :wink:

Well I know there are people watching over my Win PC… How do I know? They call me every day with a virus assessment threat report. But I don’t think they are wearing black suits… but I’m sure they have a nebulizer handy, as they think that I forget that they called just days earlier

Dave: are the results better when using Picture.Graphics.AntiAliasModes.HighQuality ?

Does the antialiasmode improve pictures in both directions? IE, when resizing a larger picture to a smaller canvas, and when resizing a smaller picture to a larger canvas?

larger to smaller… yes
smaller to larger… kinda… depends on how much larger… at some point pixelatioan and blurry will occur regardless

I was hoping the improvement would be comparable in going from smaller to larger as that was an issue with some of my graphics apps. While anti-aliasing is formally only relevant to downsizing, the description includes interpolation which is more relevant to upscaling.

in downsizing the code takes a bunch of pixels and makes one… but upsizeing there is less data… so one pixel becomes many… its just the way the math works out :slight_smile:

Dave,

I understand the process. But when upscaling one can do a sloppy job (linear interpolation) or a good job (polynomial interpolation) or a great job (fractal-based expansion). There is a program called ON1 Photo Raw which uses fractal expansion and can blow a picture up ten fold with amazing results. All I was hoping for was higher quality interpolation.

Did you check the MBS Plugins ?

In need with Xojo ? Always check the MBS Plugins !

PS: I am not related to MBS, just :wink:

There is a huge amount of research into techniques for this; simple techniques can have little improvement. Some of the more current ones are using machine learning to guess what it should use to fill in the gaps.

We just need SVG I/O and handling in Xojo.