Please, may help translating some strings?

For a Xojo Component I’m working in, I would like to include the strings localized in several languages. Currently I have them in English and Spanish, but would love to display them also in as many languages as possible, mainly:

• German
• French
• Italian

So I’d be really grateful if someone could colaborate in translating them in their mother language… beyond Google Translate (they are really few). I know that all of you are really busy, so thank you so much in advance for any help!

Undo
Board Size
Items Size
Zoom
Window Size
Page Change
Board Position
Adding Item
Deleting Item(s)
Cut
Paste

Thank you!

Javier

Use the Microsoft Language Portal: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/language .

If this is a component that others will include in their applications be aware that if you add these strings you might be making their app suddenly be treated as if it is localized into all these languages when in fact it may not be
However you provide this component its localized strings need to be editable so people can add and remove one they do not actually support

EDIT : FWIW macOSLib has a lot of strings in it localized for a LOT of languages and it notably caused exactly this problem
https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/72119

Thank you Beatrix,

That is a great resource, sure! It offers the answer to the most common phrases / verbs, but not when the strings aren’t used in the Microsoft products :-/

For Dutch :

Undo - Ongedaan maken
Board Size - Bord afmetingen
Items Size - Items afmetingen
Zoom - Uitvergroten
Window Size - Venster afmetingen
Page Change - Pagina wijziging
Board Position - Bord positie
Adding Item - Item toevoegen
Deleting Item(s) - Item(s) verwijderen
Cut - Knippen
Paste - Plakken

Thank you! - Bedankti

Hope this helps.

Chris

[quote=453732:@Chris Verberne]For Dutch :

Thank you! - Bedankti
[/quote]

Thank you! - Bedankt!

Hola Javier, que clase de traduccin te hace falta, son palabras muy tcnicas o de la vida diaria
Es muy grande tu proyecto ?
Yo hablo francs y algo de aleman.
Saludos

I tambien en que contexto usas las cadenas a traducir, ya que de ello depende una buena traduccin.
Hay Idiomas que tienen varias descripciones distintas para una misma frase.
Saludos

“board” has multiple meanings in french.
can you please describe it more ?

Undo -> Annuler
Board Size -> Taille de ?
Items Size -> Taille de l’lment
Zoom -> Zoom
Window Size -> Taille de la fentre
Page Change -> Changement de page
Board Position -> Position de ?
Adding Item -> Ajouter un lment
Deleting Item(s) -> Supprimer un (des) lment(s)
Cut -> Couper
Paste -> Coller

Thank you! -> Merci !

In Brazilian Portuguese few of those need a bit more context to be more precise, so I’ll add few more options for context:

Undo - Desfazer
Board Size - Tamanho do Quadro
Frame Size - Tamanho da Moldura
Items Size - Tamanho dos Itens
Zoom - Zoom
Window Size - Tamanho da Janela
Page Change - Troca de Pgina
To Change the Page - Trocar Pgina
To modify the page - Alterar Pgina
Board Position - Posio do Quadro
Frame Position - Posio da Moldura
Adding Item (action in progress) - Adicionando Item
To add an Item - Adicionar Item
Deleting Items (action in progress) - Deletando Itens
To Delete Items - Deletar Itens
Cut - Cortar
Paste - Colar

Italian:

Undo -> Annulla
Board Size -> Dimensione Scheda
Items Size -> Dimensione Elementi
Zoom -> Zoom
Window Size -> Dimensione Finestra
Page Change -> Cambio Pagina
Board Position -> Posizione Scheda
Adding Item -> Aggiungo Elemento
Deleting Item(s) -> Elimino Elemento/i
Cut -> Copia
Paste -> Incolla

For the Board word I’d need to better know the context to translate it properly. It can have many different meanings and the one I used might be not the best translation.

Items is also a bit ambiguous.

The Adding and Deleting strings I supposed they are shown during this action is being worked.

Hola Juan. Las frases a traducir son las que figuran en la lista del post original. Todas ellas se utilizan en combinación con “Deshacer” la última operación realizada, y aparecerán bajo el menú “Edición”.

Por ejemplo, cuando no hay ninguna acción para deshacer simplemente aparecerá “Deshacer” (Undo) deshabilitado; mientras que si la última acción que se ha realizado ha sido un cambio de página, entonces aparecerá “Deshacer Cambiar Página”.

Estoy viendo que la palabra que da más problemas por contexto es “Board” (Tablero). Este es el control base sobre el que se añaden una serie de elementos (Items).

[quote=453812:@Massimo Valle]For the Board word I’d need to better know the context to translate it properly. It can have many different meanings and the one I used might be not the best translation.

Items is also a bit ambiguous.

The Adding and Deleting strings I supposed they are shown during this action is being worked.[/quote]

Thank you Massimo!

I’m seeing that context matters! Well, all these phrases will be used under the “Edit > Undo” menu item to display the last action done. So, when there is not a undoable action left then it simply display the “Undo” word (disabled), and if the last action done is a page change then it will display “Undo Page Change”.

About the “Board” word, this is the base control used in the component for adding a series of items (controls). So I think that the more appropriate meaning for the “Board” word is “a thin, flat, rectangular piece of wood or other stiff material used for various purposes”.

I really appreciate the help of you all!

Javier

Javier, what is the spanish word you used for board?

Julen

Hi Julen, I’m using the “Tablero” Spanish word for “Board”.

so tha translation of Board to french should be “Carte” but It needs certainly more explainations to translate it correctly…

If you need a good KI-based translator, you should try this free service or free tool for Windows and macOS from DeepL.

Hola Javier,
Tablero en francs se traduce : planche
En Aleman : Tafel

Saludos

Tablero en francs puede ser estos dos : planche o tableau