Apple Event 2019-09-10

1. ‹ Older
  2. last week

Emile S

Sep 10 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Douglas H t is not surprising to exclude laptops from an iOS centric event. Those are more likely to be released in October, and perhaps without much fanfare.

You are correct, but an Event have cost. A second Event one month later (or 5 weeks)…

Unfortunately, we do not know the ins and outs and can only make guess based on rumors ;).

Rumors are just rumors, even if at one point of time it can be true. A product can be stopped under conditions (not ready, last minute discovered bug, etc.) and that explains why some appears later or never.

At last, we have to remember that an announced product have to be released withing a certain amount of days after the announcement date (90 days ? less ? I forgot.).

3. Norman P

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

there is no rule a product HAS to be released after announcement ... Airpower for instance
    MS Bob :P

And for Apple since they own the venue etc and the macOS group is not the iOS team etc its probably not that big a deal to have multiple events
    At least not when your quarterly revenue is 25 - 30 billion $

4. Dave S

Sep 10 San Diego, California USA

@Norman P there is no rule a product HAS to be released after announcement ... Airpower for instance
    MS Bob :P

the difference is Airpower was cancelled where MS Bob was actually released into the real world

Microsoft Bob was a Microsoft software product that was released on March 11, 1995 and discontinued in early 1996. The program was intended to provide a more user-friendly interface for the Windows 3.1x, Windows 95 and Windows NT operating systems, supplanting the Windows Program Manager.

5. Norman P

Sep 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

oh that true ... bob was ... Bob and clippy thankfully are long gone

6. Dave S

Sep 10 San Diego, California USA

Bob and Clippy were annoying.... but I loved Peety the Parrot!

7. Emile S

Sep 10 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    Edited last week

http://www.twiggymac.com/the-first-macintosh

That product (the disk drive known as Twiggy) release was on hold a day or so before its release (in the early 1980) because a bug was discovered at teh last moment.

Do not be confused by rumors sites and real products. Diffference ? Until the product is released, that product does not exists ;)

When I worked at Apple, I saw (or know about)… many non released products.

As developers, we also have our non released / not achieved products… Planned product that were stopped at different stages of work (from the paper stage [design] until fc) :(

A product in a shelf have a cost. Strange, but true. Of course, you can consider 10 people used in an Event may cost nothing; but the truth is… there is a cost. If they were doing something else, their work will not a cost, but "a gain".

BTW: time to sleep; I do not watched the clock !

8. brian f

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

@Dave S Bob and Clippy were annoying.... but I loved Peety the Parrot!

What was the Dog's name in XP when you would do a file search?
    Remember he would sit there and scratch himself and stare at you when the search was happening.

9. Dave S

Sep 11 San Diego, California USA

@brian f What was the Dog's name in XP when you would do a file search?

the uber imaginative name of "Rover" (seriously, that is what it was)

10. brian f

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

@Dave S the uber imaginative name of "Rover" (seriously, that is what it was)

Oh Rover, how I miss , well whatever functionality you provided(none I think? just entertainment)

11. Beatrix W

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

I was dreading "tomorrow we are going to release Catalina". Which is about as ready for prime time as 2019r2.

12. Michel B

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro RubberViews.com

I fear Catalina's public beta. That is when I will start getting angry phone calls from people who don't understand what "beta" means.

13. Dave S

@Beatrix W Which is about as ready for prime time as 2019r2.

are you infering R2 is/will be a disaster? or just that it hasn't been released yet?

14. Michel B

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro RubberViews.com

If things had been going as usual, 2019R2 should have been released Q2.

Waiting longer probably means it still needed more work.

As for Catalina, it is not a disaster IMHO. Just the usual green system, as we hear about every year...

15. Norman P

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

Xojo stopped committing to a 90 day release cycle some time ago

16. Andre K

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers

@Norman P Xojo stopped committing to a 90 day release cycle some time ago

Haven't seen any anouncement for that, so i guess they will also cut the price into halve?

17. Thom M

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers Greater Hartford Area, CT

@Andre K Haven't seen any anouncement for that, so i guess they will also cut the price into halve?

Why?

18. Norman P

@Andre K Haven't seen any anouncement for that, so i guess they will also cut the price into halve?

I dunno if they mention anything more than "a year of updates"
    https://www.xojo.com/store/

19. Andre K

Sep 11 Pre-Release Testers

@Thom M Why?

Because they don't deliver what was said: 90 day release schedule just as Norman himself has said MANY times when he still worked there. NEVER has someone from Xojo said they would stop the qwarterly updates. If i had known this before renewing my pro licence i would never have paid the 700 dollar for what they are delivering now.

20. Dave S

While I was never a fan of the 90 day release cycle (do it RIGHT, not FAST), I admit I let my paid license lapse from 2016 to 2019, and only bit the bullet then because over that 3 year period there was signifcant changes. But unlike when I could upgrade my desktop liccense for $50.00 a year, and now it is the same as a "new" license ($299).... I am only going to pay out, when I figure the investment is worth MY while. This (to me at least) creates a problem for Xojo..... if more of us start renewing every few years, then their revenue stream drops, if the revenue stream drops they may have to lay off employees, if the lay off employees, then the improvements take longer, and if the improvements take longer, fewer will renew as often.... etc.. etc. etc.

$50 a year or even $100 makes Xojo more money from me, that $299 maybe every few years

21. Norman P

@Andre K Because they don't deliver what was said: 90 day release schedule just as Norman himself has said MANY times when he still worked there.

That changed even before I left - at one time it was 90 days - but that was many years back
    Then it changed to quarterly
    And I dont recall when that was changed
    You should take this up with Xojo hello@xojo.com

or Sign Up to reply!