WebToolBarButton Cursor Change

Hi,
Is it normal when the Toolbar.cursor is set to automatic, then when the mouse is over its buttons to not change?
Is there any way to implement such a basic feature, that is, when the cursor is over a webtoolbarbutton to change to a fingerpoint…
Regards
MB

Is any Xojo colleague to confirm this and that I’m not doing something wrong?

Webtoolbarbuttons have no webstyle, so you can’t change the cursor for the button with pure xojo code.
The webstyle at toolbar level applies to the whole toolbar container.

However, the toolbar is a HTML table, and buttons are table elements () so it is possible to do it using javascript.
Rem: using javascript is not recommended as Xojo may change the web element structure/naming/… in a future release.

Example:

• set toolbar cursor to standard
  • place this in the open event of the toolbar
ExecuteJavaScript("document.getElementById('" + me.ControlID + "_MyButtonName').style.cursor = 'pointer';")

Where « MyButtonName » is the « Item Name » of the button.
You need to do this for every button.

Thanks a lot! Appreciate…
However, it seems that easy things in standard web languages are a bit tricky in Xojo…
Ii seen as a big disadvantage in my opinion which keep users from not jumping in Xojo language
Hope webapi 2.0 to make things a bit better…

You can set the cursor in the Inspector.
Or am I misunderstanding your problem?

You are missing the point. Xojo is not a page designer, it is a Rapid Application Development (RAD). In practice, it provides an environment to very effectively port Desktop applications to the Web.

I don’t think HTML is always that simple. As soon as you try to reach the same kind of features as a Xojo Web application, you have to dive into CSS/JavaScript/Php/Perl, which can be far more complicated than a simple piece of code such as what @Olivier Colard gave you.

[quote=453638:@Paul Sondervan]You can set the cursor in the Inspector.
Or am I misunderstanding your problem?
[/quote]
Hi Paul, the question was about the WebToolbarButton which has no style.

[quote=453640:@Michel Bujardet]You are missing the point. Xojo is not a page designer, it is a Rapid Application Development (RAD). In practice, it provides an environment to very effectively port Desktop applications to the Web.
[/quote]
Michel you’re damn right !

???

[quote=453319:@Michael Batakis]Is it normal when the Toolbar.cursor is set to automatic, then when the mouse is over its buttons to not change?
Is there any way to implement such a basic feature, that is, when the cursor is over a webtoolbarbutton to change to a fingerpoint…
[/quote]
I see nowhere that @Michael Batakis is asking about (Web)Style.
WebStyle also doesn’t have the possibility to set the type of cursor.

As I mentioned before, the type of cursor (fingerpoint) can be set in the Inspector of the WebToolbar and that fingerpoint is shown when the cursor is over a WebToolbarButton.

@Paul Sondervan my mistake ! I meant « there is no ‘cursor’ at button level » .
If cursor ‘finger’ is specified at toolbar level, the cursor is a finger point anywhere over the toolbar, even for areas where there are no buttons. The cursor is not set for buttons only.

@Paul Sondervan, I mean that set automatic does not work.
“As I mentioned before, the type of cursor (fingerpoint) can be set in the Inspector of the WebToolbar and that fingerpoint is shown when the cursor is over a WebToolbarButton.” This is not true!

“If cursor ‘finger’ is specified at toolbar level, the cursor is a finger point anywhere over the toolbar, even for areas where there are no buttons. The cursor is not set for buttons only.”.This is true.

I thought that the scope of setting WebToolBar cursor was to change automatically when over a webToolBar button, as this make sense to me.
IMO, ss it is now implemented in Xojo, it is meaningless for a UI design perspective…

Agree with @Michel but maybe this is a reason that Xojo is not so widespread language programming for the newer users? Such tiny details may make the difference!

@Olivier Colard: I think if the Xojo will change web element structure sometime, it should be a wise thing to support us with a tiny converter that updates web structure element in our projects, automatically :slight_smile:

Another nice thing is Xojo to provide us tiny javascript code snippets with basic UI tricks (menu within Xojo IDE as it happens in Visual Studio) that usually an average user is seeing in web surfing and be familiar with. Thsi would be very productive for prospect new Xojo users!

@Oliver Colard

Any idea why the

ExecuteJavaScript("document.getElementById('" + me.ControlID + "_AddPatientButton').style.cursor = 'FingerPointer';")

is not working with me (set on WebToolBar.Open event)?

[quote=454041:@Michael Batakis]@Oliver Colard

Any idea why the

ExecuteJavaScript("document.getElementById('" + me.ControlID + "_AddPatientButton').style.cursor = 'FingerPointer';")

is not working with me (set on WebToolBar.Open event)?[/quote]

Because in the Open event, the control is not yet formed. Do it in Shown instead.

I put already there but stiil no luck
I tried in anew clean project just a toolbar and a webtoolbarbutton.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhkt2a50u2tvhc2/toolbarbutton.xojo_binary_project?dl=0

Had a little spare time and some inspiration so…

Introducing TPWebToolbar - a WebToolbar subclass that lets you add a pointer to WebToolbarButtons.
https://github.com/devtimi/TPWebToolbar

Thanks Tim, I will try it, now!
However the question remains that is why the javascript code does not run as expected…

Look at your WebToolBar with the browser developer tools. Chances are you will find what is missing.

I have no idea actually. When I tried your project and it didn’t work I began working on my subclass.

In CSS 'FingerPointer" means nothing. The proper syntax was provided by Olivier in his original post. “pointer” is the value that displays the finger pointer.

See https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_class_cursor.asp

Or use the ready made webtoolbar by Tim Parnell.

You mean ‘system.style.cursor.fingerpointer’ ?