15 inch MBP (2018) with bulging bottom

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 weeks ago

Mattias S

Sep 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

@Kem T Mac user can choose shut down or sleep, but the latter is more efficient than sleep on a Windows box.

Exactly where can you choose that? I have that option on Windows 10 but I cannot find it on Mac Mojave on the MBP 15".

3. Mattias S

Sep 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

This only strengthens me in my hatred of Apple's hardware. The problem is that I love Mac OS.
    I've now ordered a Mac Mini i7 with 32GB that I will lug between home, vacation home and office instead of the laptop. With all the hubs and monitors already in place for the laptop I don't see much more work.

4. Alberto D

Sep 7 Pre-Release Testers

A couple of years ago my old mac laptop keyboard got some keys that don't work anymore. Since then it is used in clamshell mode with an external monitor and usb keyboard.

If closing the lid on a mac laptop will make them overheat, I don't think they will allow clamshell mode, no?

5. 5 weeks ago

Mattias S

Sep 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

Just finishing off this sad story:
    yesterday I had a Genius meeting at the Apple Store in Täby, Stockholm.
    They examined the computer externally but couldn't run the Apple Store diagnostics claiming the keyboard was broken due to the swollen battery (it didn't connect to the store network while holding down keys at boot). The opened up the computer and saw the battery was swollen.
    Since there were no other damages to the system they came to the conclusion that I have been careful with the machine. When the Genius checked the battery information he saw the low cycle count of the battery - 64 - and asked how I use the system. Answering truthfully "as a desktop with the lid closed and always connected to the power adapter" the tech came to the conclusion that it was indeed user error causing the swollen battery. The battery must be cycled regularly the genius claimed otherwise it will not have time to calibrate the charging circuits. Having the lid closed will also add to overheating the system.

The bottom-line result is that I have to pay $350 for a battery replacement for the 1 year, 3 week old machine since I haven't kept good care of it.

6. Emile S

Sep 14 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Mattias Söm the tech

A Windows tech ?

A crook at least…

I cannot find words to qualify this.

Write a correct mail to Tim Cook explaining the whole story and ask for a refund and an “Apple training camp” for that tech.

7. Mattias S

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

@Emile S I cannot find words to qualify this.

It makes perfect sense in one way - Apple has admitted to failures of the 2015-2017 model batteries with the recall program. By blaming user error they don't have to expand this recall (yet) to the 2018 models.

8. Russ L

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I was under the impression that EU law states a two year warranty. i would do some research before handing over any money.

9. Paul S

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Netherlands, Den Haag)

Apple doesn't mention anything about using the MacBook Pro for a long time in clamshell mode.
    So therefore there is nothing against it to do so.
    Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display

10. Emile S

Thank you Paul for the link.

Long time ago, at a time no one else recall, there were User’s Manuals delivered with Hardware (and software) printed on paper.

In these books, this kind of information existed.

Russ: I confirm the 2 years of warranty from the European Union.

Mattias: I heard from this kind of tech (as you name it) all and its contrary: there is now warranty on Batteries is an example. The Power supply cord disintegrate itself at the laptop side: buy a brand new one, etc. (under waranty time).
    Any excuse is good to reject the warranty :(

They build !@#$% at gold price and they do not want to apply warranty…

The beloved Charles XIV must be crying were he is.

11. Beatrix W

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

In Germany you have the difference between Garantie and Gewährleistung. Both translate to warranty in English. The article here explains the difference in German: https://www.channelpartner.de/a/der-unterschied-zwischen-garantie-und-gewaehrleistung,2593115 :

The warranty (Gewährleistung) is legally guaranteed to customers, manufacturers and dealers offer a warranty (Garantie) voluntarily.
    According to the warranty (Gewährleistung), the customer may complain about defective goods for up to 24 months.
    A warranty (Garantie) can in no case reduce or replace the warranty.

For the benefit of a consumer in the first six months after delivery, it is assumed that the goods were already defective at the time of delivery, unless the seller can prove that the defect did not exist at the time of delivery. Brünen: "In the first six months after delivery of the purchased item, the customer therefore has a very good chance of actually asserting his defect claims against the seller. If, according to Grau, the customer notices the defect later than six months after the purchase, the burden of proof changes, i.e. he must now prove that the item was already defective at the time of delivery.

So the warranty is 24 months and not 12 since we have European laws. I agree with Paul that nowhere is mentioned that you can't use a laptop always closed. I would assume that many laptops are used this way.

12. Jean-Yves P

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)
    Edited 5 weeks ago

@Mattias Söm When the Genius checked the battery information he saw the low cycle count of the battery - 64 - and asked how I use the system. Answering truthfully "as a desktop with the lid closed and always connected to the power adapter" the tech came to the conclusion that it was indeed user error causing the swollen battery. The battery must be cycled regularly the genius claimed otherwise it will not have time to calibrate the charging circuits. Having the lid closed will also add to overheating the system.

I am an apple certified tech. nowhere in the battery reclaim program for these 2015 mbpr is there a mention of minimum cycle count to be allowed for this recall. go back and ask the "genius" to show you the written apple text that tells this.
    it's complete non sense. you should discharge the battery 3-4 times a YEAR at least. and it is not mandatory at all. so 64 cycles is 12 years of usage ?

there are other apple service center in stockolm.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=apple+service+center+stockholm&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    please go to another one they can't be worse that the apple store !

13. Emile S

Hear ! Hear !

14. Julian S

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK
    Edited 5 weeks ago

The "genius" is talking out of their bottom as they are quite well known for doing. I have a cycle count of 287 on my 8 year old laptop which is half your cycle count and my battery hasn't ballooned. I, like you, ran it mainly on power for its first 2-3 years with the lid closed and have had zero issues with the battery. This is either a design flaw on your model of laptop or a manufacturing issue on the battery as nowhere in the docs does it tell you how to use your laptop with regards to closed usage.

They even promote this usage method on their site https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201834 so are they actively encouraging users to use their laptop "incorrectly"? Nowhere on https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204054 does it mention that you should be regularly cycling your battery.

@Mattias Söm The battery must be cycled regularly the genius claimed otherwise it will not have time to calibrate the charging circuits. Having the lid closed will also add to overheating the system.

Ask the "genius" to point you to the part of the manual/documentation where it informs you to do this to avoid "harming your machine". Kindly point him back to the link above where apple themselves tell you how to operate your system in this mode.

Jokers, the lot of them.

15. Ivan T

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers

@Mattias Söm Is this what to expect from a less than a year old machine that costs above $3500?

Actually YES, apple products are made to be pretty, not of good quality. The focus to make slim pretty things came at the price of performance and durability. swollen battery it is a pretty common problem, the same with making excuses to dont aply the warranty, and efforts to dont allow third party repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlvlgmjMi98
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_SZ4tfLns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947op8yKJRY

16. Greg O

Sep 14 Xojo Inc

@Mattias Söm Just finishing off this sad story:
    yesterday I had a Genius meeting at the Apple Store in Täby, Stockholm.
    They examined the computer externally but couldn't run the Apple Store diagnostics claiming the keyboard was broken due to the swollen battery (it didn't connect to the store network while holding down keys at boot). The opened up the computer and saw the battery was swollen.
    Since there were no other damages to the system they came to the conclusion that I have been careful with the machine. When the Genius checked the battery information he saw the low cycle count of the battery - 64 - and asked how I use the system. Answering truthfully "as a desktop with the lid closed and always connected to the power adapter" the tech came to the conclusion that it was indeed user error causing the swollen battery. The battery must be cycled regularly the genius claimed otherwise it will not have time to calibrate the charging circuits. Having the lid closed will also add to overheating the system.

The bottom-line result is that I have to pay $350 for a battery replacement for the 1 year, 3 week old machine since I haven't kept good care of it.

Mattias, call Apple corporate and complain about your experience at the Apple store. I’ve done this twice so far and both times they’ve corrected the problem. You might even get your money back.

17. James S

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone Mattias, call Apple corporate and complain about your experience at the Apple store. I’ve done this twice so far and both times they’ve corrected the problem. You might even get your money back.

I agree completely and double what Greg said. That is ludicrous and just patently wrong. It does indeed require a cycle of the battery to calibrate it. And probably a few more every hundred cycles or so to keep it in calibration. But that only effects the accuracy of the time left indicator. It zero to do with the battery swelling. A swelling battery at that age is a defective battery. Of course, thats not always true, there are machines and chargers and whatnot that can go bad and abuse the battery with the wrong voltages or something. But your Mac doesn’t have one like that, and if it did then that would be defective and you’d be able to get them to replace that and the battery. What the people at the store told you was wrong. Call Apple directly and stay on the phone until you get through to someone who can actually speak to that. Like all phone conversations the first person always tries to get you to go away. If you can get past that though they will sort things out for you. There is NO way that any way you use your Mac can cause the battery to swell other than opening it up and trying to connect your own charger directly. I am insulted for you that they even suggested such a thing.

18. Scott C

Sep 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Vancouver, Canada

@Mattias Söm ...asked how I use the system. Answering truthfully "as a desktop with the lid closed and always connected to the power adapter" the tech came to the conclusion that it was indeed user error causing the swollen battery.

The first time I took my mid-2015 15' MBP for the swollen battery, they asked me the same thing and my answer was the same as yours. The guy didn't blink and said "that's common" and they went ahead and replaced the battery, no charge.

I feel for you Mattias, your experience was really unfair.

19. I noticed that turning Wi-Fi OFF before putting my MBP to sleep, battery consumption drops; and since my battery condition is "replace soon", such step is a huge bonus.

20. 4 weeks ago

Mattias S

Sep 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)
    Edited 4 weeks ago

@Beatrix W So the warranty is 24 months and not 12 since we have European laws. I agree with Paul that nowhere is mentioned that you can't use a laptop always closed. I would assume that many laptops are used this way.

I have heard this so many times from my German and French friends but my reading of the European laws and how it is applied in Sweden is (from https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/sweden/index_en.htm ):

The seller must prove that the item was not defective for the first 6 months after the delivery of the product ("reversal of burden of proof"). After that, the consumer must prove that it was defective (so-called "original fault").

Apple is adding 6 months to their initial 6 months - meaning that problems during the first 12 months are considered original faults.

21. Jean-Yves P

Sep 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

in France, the 2 years warranty only applies to individuals. if the invoice is to a company name, the warranty stays 1 year.

or Sign Up to reply!