15 inch MBP (2018) with bulging bottom

1. 7 weeks ago

Mattias S

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)
    Edited 7 weeks ago

The title says it all. I guess the battery is going bad and the laptop will set the house on fire.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I'm reluctantly taking it to the Apple Store but I have a feeling I won't see the machine for weeks.

Is this what to expect from a less than a year old machine that costs above $3500?

2. Kem T

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

I had that with my wife's 13", also not too old. We bought a new machine for her to use booting from an SSD-based clone. Her machine came back within a few days and we returned the new machine without issue. We even told the people at Apple what we were doing, and they didn't care.

3. Paul S

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Netherlands, Den Haag)

I had a swollen battery on my MacBook Pro 15".
    Went to the Apple Store and it was repaired within 3-5 days.

@Mattias Söm Is this what to expect from a less than a year old machine that costs above $3500?

No, to be honest my opinion is that the battery should be replaced as part of your guarantee.

4. Gavin S

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers UK

@Mattias Söm The title says it all. I guess the battery is going bad and the laptop will set the house on fire.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I'm reluctantly taking it to the Apple Store but I have a feeling I won't see the machine for weeks.

Is this what to expect from a less than a year old machine that costs above $3500?

It absolutely sounds like a bulging battery and I would get it to the Apple Store ASAP and get it replaced as a matter of urgency.

5. Scott C

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Vancouver, Canada

@Mattias Söm Is this what to expect from a less than a year old machine that costs above $3500?

Apple has been having these issues for years. It makes me nervous, so I still wonder if I should switch to a new Mac Mini at some point...

I had an older 17' MBP (4 years ago?) that I sold to a friend , then a month later the battery started bulging. Luckily with that model the battery was a removable feature.

I still have a mid-2015 15' MBP. And back in Dec the bottom was bulging (after almost 3 years) and the trackpad started acting all weird, so I took it to my local Apple Store and had it back in 6 days. I thought because it was an older model it would take longer to source the parts (they have to replace the whole top piece which has the keyboard embedded). So I was surprised. And no issues with the SSD either, everything was still there. My Apple Care ran out the following month.

The stupid part is that battery recall that came out a few months ago for all mid-2015 15' MBP's. I took it in again and asked if I still needed to replace the battery, because it was just done so recently. There was no specific statement in the recall notice about that, so it was replaced again. And the second time only took 5 days.

Now my particular MBP isn't even allowed on fights .

That Mac Mini is looking better all the time...

6. Jean-Yves P

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Scott C The stupid part is that battery recall that came out a few months ago for all mid-2015 15' MBP's. I took it in again and asked if I still needed to replace the battery, because it was just done so recently. There was no specific statement in the recall notice about that, so it was replaced again. And the second time only took 5 days.

you were lucky to get it changed twice, because if it's already been changed, you're not eligible to the battery recall.
    at least here in europe.

7. Clifford A

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Charlotte, NC, USA

I have gotten several cheap laptops because of bulging batteries. The trackpad stops working, people just want to get rid of the laptop, I buy it cheap, and then I put a new battery in and I now have a perfectly good laptop. Even if the case seems badly deformed, they usually have not passed their elastic limit and with the new (non-bulging) battery it looks as good as new.

8. Tim J

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers Dehydrating in AZ

I say find an i7 rMBP from 2013. Rock solid, and no battery issues. Plus, you get a usable keyboard in the deal and it runs Catalina.

9. Mattias S

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

Thank you all! The geniuses at the Apple Store aren't available until two weeks from now so I guess I'll have to wait until I can get an appointment there.
    Getting a Mac Mini seems more and more like an option. :-(

10. Tim J

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers Dehydrating in AZ

This will really give you more functionality than a Mac Mini ...

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-ME664LL-15-4-Inch-Display/dp/B078WGK955

11. Jean-Yves P

Sep 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Tim J I say find an i7 rMBP from 2013. Rock solid, and no battery issues. Plus, you get a usable keyboard in the deal and it runs Catalina.

my wife has such an rMPB 2013 and the battery just began bulging.
    and of course no apple reclaim program for this , "it can never happen on these models"...
    so no every battery can bulg after 3-5 years of use.
    it was also with 2008 mbp, 2009-2012mbp. all notebooks can have bulging batteries.

12. Mattias S

Sep 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

@Tim J This will really give you more functionality than a Mac Mini ...

Probably, but since I already have the external monitors, keyboards, storage etc it's just a matter of replacing the laptop with a desktop one.

13. Greg O

Sep 6 Xojo Inc

@Mattias Söm Probably, but since I already have the external monitors, keyboards, storage etc it's just a matter of replacing the laptop with a desktop one.

Keep in mind that the newest minis can take up to 64GB of RAM. If you use VMs, that might be worth it right there.

14. Jean-Yves P

Sep 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

keep in mind that in newest mini, everything is soldered inside. (like the mbp in fact)
    no more upgrade of ram or drive space.
    choose the right amount at first !

15. Thom M

Sep 6 Pre-Release Testers Greater Hartford Area, CT

Battery defects, like you’ve described here, is covered by warranty. You’ll have your computer back in a couple days. Last time I had mine repaired, I shipped it out Tuesday evening, fought with Apple techs over passwords all of Wednesday, they started the job Wednesday evening, and I had it back Thursday morning. When it comes to repairs, Apple is typically exceptional.

As for the genius, you’ll probably have luck as a walk-in. You’ll have to wait around a bit, but they intentionally keep space open because most of their customers don’t make appointments.

16. Emile S

Sep 6 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Thom M most of their customers don’t make appointments

You are lucky. @ Strasbourg, I was told to take an appointment (the Lady was nice, but I do not asked one with her ;) ).

17. Jean-Yves P

Sep 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Thom M Battery defects, like you’ve described here, is covered by warranty. You’ll have your computer back in a couple days. Last time I had mine repaired, I shipped it out Tuesday evening, fought with Apple techs over passwords all of Wednesday, they started the job Wednesday evening, and I had it back Thursday morning. When it comes to repairs, Apple is typically exceptional.

it greatly depends on the apple store/service center you're dealing with.
    delay can go from days to weeks.
    it is usually one week.

18. Thom M

Sep 6 Pre-Release Testers Greater Hartford Area, CT

@Jean-YvesPochez it greatly depends on the apple store/service center you're dealing with.
    delay can go from days to weeks.
    it is usually one week.

Fair enough. It’s been my experience that my nearest store is always booked at least a week out, so I just walk in without issue.

19. 6 weeks ago

Mattias S

Sep 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

Went to the Apple Store in Stockholm (Täby) to schedule a Genius meeting (for next week). No walk-ins here...
    I was briefly told by the store guy registering my case that you are not supposed to run the laptop with the lid closed and they can overheat from this!! WTF?
    Will definitely discuss this further at the Genius meeting, but it sound crazy.

20. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!