Filemaker rebranded Claris

1. 4 months ago

Alexander v

Aug 12 Europe (Houten, The Netherland...
    Edited 4 months ago

Filemaker has a new name and a new CEO. That means going back to their roots. Filemaker's original name was Claris in 1998.

2. Hal G

Aug 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers CampSoftware.com

It's the new branding to move to Claris Cloud. They say they will continue support for those with on-premise FileMaker Servers, but they REALLY want folks to use Claris hosting, similar to AirTable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/06/apple-filemaker-subsidiary-renamed-claris.html

3. Hal G

It'll be an excellent opportunity for Xojo. Web 2.0 + the 'Easy Database Connectivity' listed in the Xojo Road Map, Xojo could help those who want to flee FileMaker. :)

4. Alexander v

@Hal G It's the new branding to move to Claris Cloud. They say they will continue support for those with on-premise FileMaker Servers, but they REALLY want folks to use Claris hosting, similar to AirTable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/06/apple-filemaker-subsidiary-renamed-claris.html

Doesn't sound as an improvement to me.

5. Hal G

@Alexander vnbsp;der Linden Doesn't sound as an improvement to me.

Time will tell. There was a mix up in that CNBC article which stated $50/user/month but was updated to $15/user/month which is how FileMaker is priced now. They said it was just a mix up since 50 and 15 sound similar.

I'd prefer to use Xojo. Having a replacement to the old Xojo DataControl will be very welcomed. :)

6. Beatrix W

Aug 12 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

When we complain about the lack of progress with the Xojo releases I look at the minimal stuff Filemaker/Claris does for each yearly release with hundreds of developers then I'm so happy with Xojo.

15$/user/month is okay for testing. The newest version of their server had totally crazy pricing.

7. Alexander v

I liked Filemaker, but I found their dazzling speed in releases confusing and I never seemed to get that slick and polished look on my apps. Lot's of work in the user interface and scripts.

8. Susan F

Aug 12 XDC Speakers McKinney, Texas

Just to clarify (because I was there when they announced it and still had to ask), FileMaker remains the product name... Claris replaces the FileMaker company name.

9. Norman P

Aug 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro under a bus
    Edited 4 months ago

one of the places that has a discussion of this move back to Clairs and what it means is macintouch
    I had a quick read since on the front page of macintouch they mentioned several other db products
    Several pages in to the discussion I found one mention of Xojo along with LiveCode
    There are several mentions of Xojo
    https://www.macintouch.com/community/index.php?threads/filemaker-databases.766/page-5#post-19903

10. Alexander v

@Susan F Just to clarify (because I was there when they announced it and still had to ask), FileMaker remains the product name... Claris replaces the FileMaker company name.

A bit unclear to me...
    It looks like Filemaker is/remains their on-premise product while Claris will expand as a cloud-based solution. CEO is clearly speaking about growing the [Claris] community:

"Our goal:

We want the Claris community to grow from 50,000 to 150,000 developers in the coming years."

11. Jean-Yves P

Aug 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Hal G Having a replacement to the old Xojo DataControl will be very welcomed.

I made my own a loooong time ago. problem solved.

12. Hal G

@Jean-YvesPochez I made my own a loooong time ago. problem solved.

That's my big issue. It's a bummer that everyone has to do that on their own. :(

13. Emile S

Aug 12 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

I do not understand this concept of name change (brand name / product name) excepted if there is a name conflict with a different product/brand.

or Sign Up to reply!