WebRadioGroup acting like WebCheckBox

Hi,
I would like to add the behavior that if the user clic an already selected radio button of a WebRadioGroup, it unselect it (like a checkbox).
So, the entire WebRadioGroup can “act” like a checkbox.
I want to avoid the solution of using multiple checkboxes with validation and I cannot have the solution @Dave S is proposing to work here .

Thx for your help,
Simon

Are your certain? That goes against all design guidelines that I’ve ever seen and would most likely confuse users.

Making controls behave in an unexpected manner is an excellent way of annoying users and building up resentment towards your application - and you are going to do it every single time they use your application.

UI guides are there for a reason - stick to them. The correct way to present a none option in a radio group is to have a visible one, such as None or All depending on the context. Users do not expect to have to click a radio button to turn it off, it is not how it works in their other applications. Don’t require them to learn special rules for you.

[quote=449589:@Simon Page]Hi,
I would like to add the behavior that if the user clic an already selected radio button of a WebRadioGroup, it unselect it (like a checkbox).
So, the entire WebRadioGroup can “act” like a checkbox.
I want to avoid the solution of using multiple checkboxes with validation and I cannot have the solution @Dave S is proposing to work here .

Thx for your help,
Simon[/quote]

Just use the other solution in that post. Adding a new radiobutton with caption “None”

Thanks for your insights an recommandations.
I really appreciate it.
In another hand, things evolve; UI are not the same since 30 years.
I considered the risk of confusion and was willing to try it for my interface to the targeted users (in fact, this demand came from users).
Adding “none” to each radio group will pollute this UI. But if there is no way to surround it the way I wish, then I will do like everyone else.
Once again, thanks for your replies.

That is why the guidelines have evolved too. Have you actually taken the time to read them plus some of the more recent research on HCI?

Honestly, no. Thanks for the cue.
Best,

If you have a closed software, with few users that are asking for some non standard UI, you can break the guidelines, they are just recomemendatios after all. But if you have a more open app with potential new users , it is better to stick to the guidelines, or you will have a hell of support calls on “how is this suppossed to work” or worst, lots of users just ignoring the app because they didnt undertand it. Best of luck with the ui you choose