Xojo Roadmap

For anyone not on the Xojo Newsletter mailing list, there is now an official Xojo Roadmap document. I am really grateful to Xojo for providing this. I never wanted timelines or dates, I only ever wanted to know the proposed direction of the product - a high-level summary of Xojo Inc’s plans in the upcoming years - and now we’ve got it. I hope it will be kept up to date.

Let’s do our part as a community by not badgering them for specific dates for these items. Thanks @Geoff Perlman and the Xojo team.

I saw it in the newsletter.
Basically a summary of what they told us at the conferences.

The news is that some API 2.0 stuff is coming for beta of 2019r2.

I very much appreciate Xojo offering a Roadmap. Thank you!

I’m very much awaiting the combination of Web 2.0 + ‘Easy Database Connectivity’! That’ll help a lot of folks migrate to Xojo. :slight_smile:

Oh God! When I clicked on the link, I was expecting a real roadmap, not 12 poor lines of general policy statements! And some people are grateful for that?

I am so excited for the new web framework! Thanks for keeping us in the loop! This is still my favorite tool.

Yes, we are. Very grateful. We don’t need concrete dates to prepare for new things, and the alternative is that they say nothing at all. We’ve seen both, and this is a perfect compromise.

You can’t please everyone. Would you rather they said nothing at all? If so, just ignore the roadmap. They didn’t have to give us anything. I’m grateful for the direction they have provided.

I am neither praising nor complaining… but in defense of Stephane… it didn’t really say anything “new”, other than putting in down in black and white.

@Gavin Smith — I would really prefer a roadmap where they take the resolution not to leave reported bugs unfixed for 6 years! Or to fix the dozens of bugs in the IDE that I can’t even find enough time to report them!

I’m grateful for the roadmap. Thanks Xojo.

I’m particularly grateful to see that API (at least in part) will be making an appearance in release 2.0.

Is this road map AAA approved? :stuck_out_tongue:

They shouldn’t have to mention bug fixes in a broad stroke roadmap showing the direction of the language and IDE. Every release of Xojo has had bug fixes. They do what they can. If you’re not reporting them, they may not know about the issues. If they do know and they’re not reported, they may not get worked on as they pull feedback cases for their work (as they’ve said before).

Regardless, the Roadmap is a major plus. I love it! Thanks @DanaBrown @GeoffPerlman and the rest of the team!

@Anthony Cyphers — And when you report bugs, is it normal that they are still not fixed after 6 years? Because that happens a lot!

I don’t know if you were part of the team when Xojo was still REALbasic, but it was already the exact same at the time!

This is a good step in the right direction. I’m patiently waiting for Web 2.0 ! If the easy database stuff can optionally use the Xojo OR the MBS plugin that would be very nice!

[quote=445786:@StphaneMons]@Anthony Cyphers And when you report bugs, is it normal that they are still not fixed after 6 years? Because that happens a lot!

I don’t know if you were part of the team when Xojo was still REALbasic, but it was already the exact same at the time![/quote]

I do not now – nor have I ever – work for Xojo. I’ve been using Xojo since 2002, and I’m well aware of the old bugs. I also recognize that there are time and resource constraints on any business, nevermind the fact that a report that old may not ever be looked at again because something else might have inadvertently fixed it but they just haven’t had the time to verify.

I just don’t see why you’d want to detract from a major positive for all of us in the roadmap with a peripheral discussion.

I too agree this is welcome information, even if it doesn’t do much more than putting in writing what can be gleamed from forum discussions and blogs after XDC (for those of us who could not attend). I still welcome the new page and having a general idea of the sequence in which things may come to fruition in subsequent releases.

As already pointed out, the only other reasonable thing for Xojo would be to say nothing at all, and I much prefer this.

I mostly appreciate the order in which they will deal with features. that’s important to me.
I know that there is no more real date than before, but I have an ordered list.

@Anthony Cyphers — Sorry if my English is not perfect. When saying "you were part of the team " I actually wasn’t asking if you were a Xojo’s employee, but just if you were using REALbasic at the time. I am sorry if I was not clear enough.

I do not want to detract people from Xojo. On the contrary, I want Xojo to be successful. However, after all those years using REALbasic, REALstudio and finally Xojo, I really feel like Xojo it its worst enemy !

And finally, the declaration by Xojo (i.e. its “roadmap”) is so weak that I can’t understand how people could fall for it. It is just like a politician saying that he/she will “provide the same for less”. ANYONE can say that !

No worries!

Understandable.

As we’ve said, it’s this or nothing. This is more than acceptable, and more than we had before today. I don’t think anyone is falling for anything, we just see the added value of this simple gesture.

@Anthony Cyphers — [quote]As we’ve said, it’s this or nothing. This is more than acceptable, and more than we had before today. I don’t think anyone is falling for anything, we just see the added value of this simple gesture.[/quote]

OK, I can understand that, although the “it’s this or nothing” is not enough by French standards! If politicians (or anyone) can propose something else than “this or nothing” the mob can propose an alternative :slight_smile: