500 Internal Server Error on DreamHost VPS

I’m accustomed to 500 Internal Server Error’s when neglecting to set the chmod 755 etc., but I’m new to DreamHost and can’t seem to get this going. Before I bang my head for another hour does anyone have experience with DreamHost’s VPS hosting of Web Apps?

I tried creating a simple TEST.cgi and it runs (simply python script). However no matter what I set the architecture to (x86 32-bit, x86 64-bit, etc) I get the same error.

Thanks for any tips!

They might not have a pre-requisite library installed on their service. Do you have console access or can you find the info out what they have installed via the working cgi, a phpinfo file or their faq?

See Linux Notes near the end of http://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_current_version.html for more info, sorry I can’t help more, my linux usage is many many years old, someone who’s more up to speed on these things might be able to help, maybe ask in Targets>Linux ?

I’ll paste my progress in here in hopes it might serve as a good resource…

The DreamHost tech support sent me a line from their logs (which I unfortunately cannot access myself), which reads:

[error] [client 000.86.33.36] Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at update.cgi line 118.

@William Reynolds

I saw lately someone stating that their log file has always had theses errors but was not causing the 500 error

cannot find the post right now :confused:

[quote=445613:@William Reynolds]I’ll paste my progress in here in hopes it might serve as a good resource…

The DreamHost tech support sent me a line from their logs (which I unfortunately cannot access myself), which reads:

[error] [client 000.86.33.36] Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at update.cgi line 118.

Every Status 500 I see in access.log is associated with that CGI Line 118 in stderr.log. That CGI Line 118 error is a common report in this forum. I find it happening often with mobile users, especially iPhone users. I’m pretty sure there’s a one to one relationship between a stderr.log CGI Line 118 error and an Internal Server Error 500. At least over here.

Thanks Julian/Brian/Ralph! After digging around the forum I eventually found a lot of references to ‘line 118’ as well, and the more I dig around the less useful information I find it seems.

I’ve opened a ticket with the hosting company to see if they can give me more info about their server (blocked ports, weird security settings, not-installed libraries, etc.). I’ll continue to bang on this. Thanks to everyone for contributing their two cents!

Are you making sure your app is not running when attempting to update it with new files? See this:

http://www.dev.1701software.com/blog/2013/09/08/upgrading-xojo-cgi-apps

Excellent point. But yes, in fact I’ve been creating a new file & directory for each subsequent test (tedious).

Then you need to use a different AppID for each of these updates, or you will get an Internal Error 500 for each new update.

This is the value at ‘Application Identifier’ (under Shared > Build) correct?
Example: com.mydomain.myappname

[quote=445650:@William Reynolds]This is the value at ‘Application Identifier’ (under Shared > Build) correct?
Example: com.mydomain.myappname[/quote]
Yes. Every Web app on that server must have a different App ID.

One of the things I’ll miss about HostGator is that they have a tool that lets you view and kill running processes. So if I did have a running app that I wanted to replace I could terminate it. But your point is taken. (thanks!)

I finally got full access to the error log, and here’s a line that the hosting company neglected to share with me:

[error]  .../cgi-bin/XojoTest: error while loading shared libraries: libunwind.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

…so now I know what to do. If all goes well I’ll post the steps here as they pertain to VPS and DreamHosts system.

I think you’ll also find many references to “libunwind.so” on this forum as well.

I’m on the cusp of finding a solid solution (or so I lead myself to believe).

Question: Does anyone recommend any of these OS images as ‘ideal’ for hosting Web Apps? (xojo web apps, to be clear)

CentOS-7
CoreOS-Stable
Debian-8
Debian-9
Fedora-25
Fedora-29
Ubuntu-14.04
Ubuntu-16.04
Ubuntu-17.10
Ubuntu-18.04

Fedora - NO! it is a bleeding edge release model that will not be stable

Run a Stable release of RHEL (CentOS7) or a Stable release of Debian (Ubuntu 18.04)