Determine Windows user localgroup assignments

Does anyone have a call that can retrieve the current user’s localgroup memberships? I was depending on the option of the “net” command, but it seems that net is not available to all users.

net user "User Name"

However, some user accounts end up reporting that the net command is not available on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (Home and Pro).

MBS is a fine answer, but then “which” MBS class/function?

I discovered the issue - for some unknown reason, some users do not get C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ in their default path. By calling the explicit path, this issue is resolved for what I need.

Hi Tim,

WOW64 is the acronym for Windows 32-bit On Windows 64-bit. WOW64 is installed on 64 bit systems to allow 32-bit applications to run on a 64-bit Operating system. It literally takes 32-bit operating system calls and converts it into 64-bit operating system calls.

64-bit applications install some files to the C:\Windows\System32 file folder
32-bit application on a 64-bit system install some files to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 file folder

My guess is that the program was 32-bit and was installed on a 32-bit OS, which means that there is no need for a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion (WOW64) or for a SysWOW64 folder.

This had me confused the first time I ran into it with 32-bit and 64-bit backwards compatibility.

Edit: oops… you could call the explicit path… so my explanation was not needed…

NOW, I call the explicit path :smiley: .

However, the question becomes one of “why do some users get the SysWOW64 folder in their %PATH% while others don’t?” And, it affects users on both 8.1 and 10 and doesn’t matter if the user is an Administrator or not. Also, why wouldn’t a system tool as important as the net command be updated to 64bit on a 64bit system?

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

Why should it? I doubt it ever would require >2-3GB memory. And so the very same 32bit Build works perfectly fine in both 32/64bit OS. So why provide and maintain both…?
MS even recommends to just provide 32bit apps (for the store), if 64bit is not of some advantage to the app.

Can you provide a quotation source on this? We have received just the opposite input from our developer contacts stating that we should be moving everything to 64bit.

Hmm, no - not any longer. It used to be in the ‚Desktop App Converter‘ (or the early ‚Project Centennial‘ or whatever it‘s been called) docs. But they‘ve changed that all quite a bit, and so i couldn‘t find it any longer.

[quote=444926:@Tim Jones]NOW, I call the explicit path :smiley: .

However, the question becomes one of “why do some users get the SysWOW64 folder in their %PATH% while others don’t?” And, it affects users on both 8.1 and 10 and doesn’t matter if the user is an Administrator or not. Also, why wouldn’t a system tool as important as the net command be updated to 64bit on a 64bit system?

[/quote]

Running 32-bit Windows maybe?

Nope - definitely all 64bit versions since the app wouldn’t launch to get to that point if the system was 32bit.

I thought there were changes - especially since we’re getting different guidance of late from the MS Dev support team.