IDE annoying feature

When defining a new method, after entering the name for it, if you click on the box to add the parameters and begin to write, Xojo changes the focus an writes on the code box method. so many times when you look at the screen you see you are not defining the parameters.

Umm… most wouldnt call that a “feature” :slight_smile:
that annoying “bug” has been in the IDE for too many versions…
and to make it worse, lately I have found, if you click on a line, the cursor jumps up a few dozen (or more lines) which totally messes things up if you start typing and had not noticed the cursor isn’t where you thought it was

Well, I was trying to be polite…
I can’t reproduced the click line issue. Are talking about the code box?

What OS ?
Are you running a laptop with a TouchPad ?

I consider this to be the most irritating “feature” of the IDE. It bites me many, many times per day.

[quote=444490:@Emile Schwarz]What OS ?
Are you running a laptop with a TouchPad ?[/quote]
macOS 10.13.6 Mini and it happens here and is quite irritating.

it has been happening for me for a few versions of Xojo and macOS… but the cursor jumping within the code window is fairly new… and WAY more “dangerous”… I have accidently deleted pages of code because it decided to select a huge block instead of one line

[quote=444490:@Emile Schwarz]What OS ?
Are you running a laptop with a TouchPad ?[/quote]
MacOs 10.14.5
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

@Enric Herrera – What version of Xojo are you using? I believe we fixed this in 2019r1.

2019 r1.1

well… not so much I’m afraid…

What happens if you press the TAB key after typing the method name?

Then it works as expected moving the cursor to the parameters box.

…and while we’re talking about irritating features, another one that bites me is when you accidentally double click the stop button while debugging. The first click stops debugging, the second click is passed on to the comment button that appears right under it. This silently comments out the line your cursor is currently on. If you’re lucky you notice it, or it causes a syntax error on the next compile. If you’re unlucky, it can cause a bug that can take hours to locate.

I’m pretty sure only 0.1% of users ever click that comment button intentionally, so it could probably be deep sized, or moved.

Moved.

oh, I’m so worry I’ve opened the Pandora Box…
Well, there is another one:
To write a comment line I use to type the text and then press {command-’] to comment the line, then, as expected, I press return to go to the next line and write the code o another comment, but… oops, pressing return deletes the comment line just typed.
What is the reason why after commenting a line it selects the whole line?
For example, the same command is used in BBedit to comment a line and then the cursor keeps where it was when the lone was commented.

No worries THAT box has been open for a while now :slight_smile:

[quote=444504:@Paul Rodman]…and while we’re talking about irritating features, another one that bites me is when you accidentally double click the stop button while debugging. The first click stops debugging, the second click is passed on to the comment button that appears right under it. This silently comments out the line your cursor is currently on. If you’re lucky you notice it, or it causes a syntax error on the next compile. If you’re unlucky, it can cause a bug that can take hours to locate.

I’m pretty sure only 0.1% of users ever click that comment button intentionally, so it could probably be deep sized, or moved.[/quote]

Then I’m part of the 0.1%, as I will intentionally use this button to quickly ignore blocks of code without adding an #IF or If statement.

But I have also been bitten by the unintentional comment out of lines you describe, and as you say, the times it does NOT cause a compile error and you later track it down to having a line unintentionally commented is frustrating.

So like Tim and Tim, I would rather see it moved then deep six’d.

It wouldn’t be removed as we try to be conscious of keyboard-centric and mouse-centric users.

What I find annoying is, when you have for example the line Window1.Height=100, place the cursor after the window1., press tab to change the property, and it insert that property instead of overwriting the existing, so when I select another property, like width, it shows Window1.widthheight=100 and I have to manually delete the obsolete part. Why cant t do the code completion like other IDE’s do it?