Recreate a Web Project File from it's Deployment Files

Hello everyone,

Back in 2012, I created a small app to perform basic CRUD operations on a small customer database (mysql). It was likely one of the first times I had used RealBasic / Xojo for web development. The app was meant to live temporarily, but somehow it has remained happily in use to this day.

The server, it runs on will be decommissioned this week and I no longer have the original project file.

It is no big deal to recreate the functionality, but it got me asking myself whether it is possible to recreate the project file from the deployment files from the cgi-bin folder of the server?

I would assume the answer is no, but was curious to confirm.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards, Andrew

You cannot easily reverse engineer a Xojo executable like you would do with VB. Unlike VB which is semi compiled tokenized code, Xojo is full compiled. It would be possible to load the executable in a disassembler, but then you don’t get a Xojo source. Just assembler.

What you could do is get the executable files from your present server before it gets decommissioned, and try to install them on a new host.

Thank you for replying Michel, that was my first thought too, however I quickly realised the database connection parameters would need to change within the project for that approach to work.