Is ServerWarp working?

I bought a sever on ServerWarp a week ago and the status is still “pending”.
I have created 5 tickets in the support system with no luck.
Is this site still operating?

Phillip usually is very quick in responding to emails.
You can try to contact @Phillip Zedalis by creating a new conversation that can only viewed by you and Phillip.

1 Like

Thanks

[quote=443368:@Juan Carlos Alcedo Velarde]I bought a sever on ServerWarp a week ago and the status is still “pending”.
I have created 5 tickets in the support system with no luck.
Is this site still operating?[/quote]

The big issue with success for small business is scaling. You probably fell in the queue managed by some incompetent “support guy” who does not care whatsoever about customers, only about his pay check.

Phillip Zedalis has founded ServerWarp. I have been with him for 6 years or so. He is real good, and does his best to support Xojo customers. I am sure he will be glad to help.

I feel about him having to fire yet another idiot potentially harming his hard built business.

1 Like

The server itself is good, the price is good, the web site is lacking basics (don’t bother with Help Tickets, they give false hope), the timing of his support is in weeks. When everything you need is running, all is OK.

Sadly I can’t disagree with David. We have great hardware, we have a cutting edge platform, apps on our servers easily out perform others and DIY solutions… but our customer service has had failures.

I have invested every dollar back into ServerWarp like recently hiring a computer science graduate to help us with support and DevOps. We have a brand new platform behind closed doors being built and will be available for free beta testing shortly.

Unfortunately the month of June has not been kind. Some jokester(s) put us on some web hosting spam lists. We are getting hundreds, sometimes thousands of emails a day and our ticket system is not able to discern existing customers from potential. Every day I comb through the list mass deleting, missing some, and getting frustrated.

We are growing, the platform is solid and the future is bright. If you hang with us I’ll make any customer impacted whole. In the past some customers needed more hand holding from us and we couldn’t deliver. We are working to fix that. We look forward to the day we can service everyone but like Michel said scaling a small business has been very challenging (and fun… usually.)

Juan - I will refund your payment and give you three free months to try us out. Anyone else impacted by poor customer service will also receive free months. We really don’t want or need your money if you are not happy.

[quote=443381:@Phillip Zedalis]Sadly I can’t disagree with David. We have great hardware, we have a cutting edge platform, apps on our servers easily out perform others and DIY solutions… but our customer service has had failures.
[/quote]

Well as a potential customer, I have to say I fully agree with David on his comments when it comes to the website! The lack of documentation on how to get up and running, FAQ etc put me off and I went else where. And the demo control panel did not actually demonstrate anything, other than the big red button to reboot the server…

At the end of the exercise I have no idea of how to get an application on to your platform… FTP, create a docker image… and databases, how do I go about setting it up?

1 Like

Support is abysmal. I am going elsewhere. When it was 1701 Whatever, support was great. When it became ServerWarp, the wheels fell off.

As usual when scaling, the biggest problem will be to keep what made the company successful.

What made me go for 1701 was Phillip.

It was not engineering. Sorry, Phillip, but that control panel you talked about since 2013 is NOT the reason I went to 1701. CPanel is WAY, WAY more powerful, and I frankly don’t see the reason besides personal development pleasure for an in-house solution.

What made 1701 so attaching was the fact that Xojo apps simply worked. Kinda Xojo Cloud without the hoopla.

To me, the name change, as well as the arrival of some engineer who piles up cases against customers instead of helping, are definite signs that the company has lost a big part of what made 1701 real endearing. I fear that Warp name. It reminds me too much of the long departed last version of OS/2…

I have seen companies lose their ways and their soul before. They usually end up bought out for pennies and gutted. I hope it will not be the case for “ServerWarp”. I would have, again, to look for another host…

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water here people. Philips service and platform is the simplest way for non server people (like me) to get going. I’m a massive fan

At the moment a simple CGI app is just an upload to a directory and it works.

Everything is simple enough that a complete hardware averse guy like me can run a software business .

There are couple of points you need to make life easy in your app,
(like putting a timer in the app to watch every 5 seconds to see if the CGI file exists. If not close the app.
This makes it easy to update an app. Delete the CGI file, wait 5 seconds and delete the rest. No restarting off the server.)

The server is easy to restart if you have trouble. This is all I need as a server dummy.

I’ve been with Phillip for many years now and he always comes through.
What are your other options? Xojos own service is good, but…

The worst number in business is ONE. ie One source to host if you are a server incompetent like me is dangerous. If I’m not happy where do I go. It’s the same for Xojo, they need Phillip. The more choices the stronger Xojo looks as a platform.

Philips system is good enough. His service is good enough. The price is fantastic.
The simplicity of the setup is fantastic.

Don’t give the stars of Xojo too hard a time.
Yes keep them honest, but this forum often feeds on the negative.

Philip has many many positives.

I couldn’t easily survive as a developer without ServerWarp and Phillip.

Cheers Phillip
All great things take time.

1 Like

[quote=443459:@James Nicholson-Plank]At the moment a simple CGI app is just an upload to a directory and it works.

Everything is simple enough that a complete hardware averse guy like me can run a software business .

There are couple of points you need to make life easy in your app,
(like putting a timer in the app to watch every 5 seconds to see if the CGI file exists. If not close the app.
This makes it easy to update an app. Delete the CGI file, wait 5 seconds and delete the rest. No restarting off the server.)[/quote]

But not even this information is on the website… so where did you pick it? And a few other questions:

• what did you do to point your domain to the server?
  • are you running a stand alone app or only CGI
  • Which database server are you using? How are you connecting to the database?
  • What about database backups?
  • How about running a ticket app or a mail server?
    These were all things that I could not find any answers to on the website?

This may come as news to you… but you can run XOJO websites on most cloud services these days. This is a copy of the XOJO demo running on a shared provider: http://eddie.codesurge.xyz, so we’re a long way from one.

Hi James

I run CGI at the moment.
I’ll start with the timer code in the webApp. This was on 1701 old site and I did see it recently somewhere but I couldn’t find the link so…
Run this method from you OPEN event in the web app.

[code]Private Sub AutoShutDownSetUp()
//////////////////////// AUTO SHUT DOWN MECHANISM FOR APP UPDATE //////
timerShutdown=new timer
Addhandler timerShutdown.Action, weakAddressOf timerShutdown_Action

timerShutdown.Period=5000
timerShutdown.Mode=timer.ModeMultiple
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
End Sub[/code]

[code]Public Sub timerShutdown_Action(sender as Timer)
Dim f as FolderItem
f=GetFolderItem(“”)
f=GetFolderItem(f.NativePath + Lowercase(App.ExecutableFile.name) + “.cgi”)

if (f.Exists()=False) Then
#If Not DebugBuild Then

App.Quit()
#Endif

end if

End Sub
[/code]

An App Property

Public Property timerShutdown as timer

////////////////////////////////

To stop your APP you delete your CGI file and wait 5+seconds for the timer to kick in and run App.Quit()
Then the rest of the files are safe to delete without having to restart the server.

At the moment I simply use an ugly redirect because it’s an internal app. This is fine while developing and when bugs are out Philip will sort you out from there (it will happen :-). )

Im running with CubeSql and I use the Sqlite Manager from the SqlLabs.
I can connect via to my desktop remotely via IP Host address and this goes into my app. Eventually when the bugs are out , I close off access to all but the APP and My IP so I can access it via the CubeSQL admin suite.

The Cubesql admin app can schedule these. Plus Phillip does daily backups.

I Use https://www.littleoak.net to run all the simple systems like this. $80 a year for as many domains as you like.

Thats a lot of writing I hope it all makes sense

Regards James

1 Like

Hi James

Good to Know. I’ll investigate more.
However I do like someone who eats their own dog food so to speak.

Not sure what will happen when Xojo only provides web apps in Native format as indicated.

Implementing a native on Linux is beyond me.

Thanks
James

Xojo Cloud?

Both

I can’t make up for past failures - I can only learn from them and work harder.

I have learned we aren’t a fit for every customer. Our margins are thin like any host and we aim for maximum server stability and performance. To Michel’s point cpanel is more powerful but it comes at a price. Especially given with Xojo Web 2.0 being standalone only that becomes less of an option.

James Dooley makes valid points but I have also seen him share strong disapproval of cubeSQL which is a great product. You strike me as someone with more enterprise experience and the smaller shops less appealing and that is okay. Running servers all over the world is a 24/7 job and I don’t take an income from ServerWarp. I rely on DevOps consulting and trying to build a sustainable business that grows and adapts to market forces and new technologies and expose those in the easiest way possible.

We continue to grow and scaling has may me grow older faster but I appreciate every customer who has stuck with us. I will always make an unhappy customer right if given the opportunity. I challenge you to find any other host at our price points who will do the same.

1 Like

Most of us server managers want to be able to build/fix our issues without having to resort to Help Tickets. I can build a database, connect to it, set up backups, upload/download files, monitor/restart the server, etc, all without a Help Ticket. I have other hosts with the domains and CPanel, so I don’t need that stuff (unlike others).

One thing I lack — uploading/updating/stopping/deleting a Xojo WebApp on my own. You said this would be 100% finished by the end of May, but we’re into July already. With this tool I would be VERY happy!

Came here to say I’ve been using Serverwarp for almost 4 years for hosting a Xojo web app cloud service and have had amazing results with the product as well as with his support.

1 Like

I just wanted to let the forum know that Phillip Zedalis took care of my case personally and now my server is up and running. Very easy to deploy.

1 Like

+1

I have been with 1701 become ServerWarp since 2013, if memory serves. Unbeatable prices, and Phillip has been great.

The only time service got bad was when I contacted the email address of the flower pot he was paying a fortune to have customers wait without even an acknowledgement. As soon as he was made aware of it, Phillip personally made sure to tend to my case.

1 Like