Adding a UIKit handler to an iOSTextField

I am struggling getting to grips with declares and handlers to reach into UIKit events. I am trying to subclass an iOSTextField to add the ability to respond to the DidEndEditing and ShouldEndEditing events.

What I have done so far is
add two events to my iOSTextField

DidEndEditing ShouldEndEditing

I have then added two methods

[code]Sub RecDidEndEditing
RaiseEvent DidEndEditing
End Sub

Function RecShouldEndEditing as Boolean
return not RaiseEvent RecShouldEndEditing
End Function [/code]

and finally have added a method which I intend to call in the open event of the iOSTextField

Sub AttachHandlers Declare sub DidEndEditing Lib "UIKit" Selector "textFieldDidEndEditing" (callback as Ptr) AddHandler DidEndEditing, address of RecDidEndEditing Declare sub ShouldEndEditing Lib "UIKit" Selector "textFieldShouldEndEditing" (callback as Ptr) as boolean AddHandler ShouldEndEditing, address of RecDidEndEditing End Sub

I have two issues.
1 - I am pretty sure the callback as Ptr is wrong. I think this should be a pointer to my iOSTextField, but have become lost as to how I do that.
2 - When I compile I get two errors on each line.
a - Type mismatch error. Expected delegate Delegate(myClass), but got Delegate( )
b - This method requires fewer parameters than were passed
AddHandler DidEndEditing, addressof RecDidEndEditing

and likewise for the second handler.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

The methods you are trying to declare are not part of UITextField but of UITextFieldDelegate, a virtual class (a Protocol in Apple’s terms) that must be incorporated in a custom iOS subclass and connected to the control. You will find examples on that in UIKit or the remainders of AppleLib/iOSLib.

There is a slightly easier method to approach this topic anyway: Both libraries above and some more examples you can find in this forum include an Xojo implementation of NSNotificationCenter and details on how that can be used to register for control’s Notifications.

But sorry: Explanations for both would demand much more information than I like to fit into a forum thread on such a hot day as today. I hope mentioned examples will help a bit.

Ulrich,

Thanks, I will have a look as suggested.

Mike