SpecialFolder.Documents nil

Why would SpecialFolder.Documents be nil for a user? macOS Mojave. I have NOE checks for a lot of stuff - but not for SpecialFolder.Documents . Any ideas what could cause such an odd behaviour?

have you in fact verified that someone or something has not somehow removed that directory?
or has it fallen prey to Mojave security attempts to protect us from ourselves? :slight_smile:

do they have iCloud documents turned on ?
dunno if that affects the local documents folder or not

Where is the boot volume ? In the Net ?

I’ll ask the user tomorrow if he has iCloud documents turn on. My app crashes when trying to write the default preferences values right at the beginning of App.Open so the security of Mojave is far far away.

Why are you putting preferences in specialfolder.documents ?
Are you not using CFPreferences / NSUserDefaults based preferences code that forces you to do this ?

I’m not putting preferences in specialfolder.documents. It’s the other way around. My app can write to a Filemaker file. The default location is a child of the specialfolder.documents folder. I write the default location to the preferences so that the users don’t have to search for the Filemaker file.

The iCloud thing should be invisible to the user, shouldn’t it? I think that something is very odd with the computer of the user.