Allocate memory to pass the pointer to external method.

Hi, I need to call this function from an external method, and I’m not figuring out how to allocate the output pointer to pass it’s pointer.

size_t WebPEncodeRGB(const uint8_t* rgb, int width, int height, int stride, float quality_factor, uint8_t** output);

I Have tried these two forms:

Note that the difference between my two attempts is that I’ve first declared the output Ptr ByRef and the second one was by value.

1 -

Declare Function WebPEncodeRGB Lib "libwebp.dylib" (rgb As Ptr, width As Int16, height As Int16, stride As Int16, quality_factor As Single, ByRef output As Ptr) As Uint16 Dim output As Ptr

and pass output as the last parameter, but it crashes:

[code]Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [60619]

Application Specific Information:
Performing @selector(performClick:) from sender XOJButton 0x60000375dc30

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libwebp.dylib 0x000000010d753243 ConvertRGB24ToY_SSE41 + 73
1 libwebp.dylib 0x000000010d75f75a ImportYUVAFromRGBA + 2427
2 libwebp.dylib 0x000000010d75ec64 Import + 269
3 libwebp.dylib 0x000000010d75e508 Encode + 286
4 libwebp.dylib 0x000000010d75e3e4 WebPEncodeRGB + 27[/code]

2 -

Declare Function WebPEncodeRGB Lib "libwebp.dylib" (rgb As Ptr, width As Int16, height As Int16, stride As Int16, quality_factor As Single, output As Ptr) As Uint16 Dim output As Ptr

and pass output as the last parameter, again. This time, the code runs ok, but the pointer remais &h0000000000000000 and I don’t have a way to access the resulting data.

How can I allocate memory to pass it’s pointer to an external method?

Maybe ByRef output as UInt8?

But how can i create a MemoryBlock and pass it’s pointer as a Uint8 value?

the ptr is not a uint8
this

uint8_t** output);

is a ptr to a ptr that points to uint8’s

which in xojo parlance for a param is a byref ptr (byref means “ptr to”) so in in this case byref ptr is “ptr to a ptr to”
a memoryblock which is just a bunch of bytes - or uint8’s

so something like this should be close ( I dont know about the other params)

Declare Function WebPEncodeRGB Lib "libwebp.dylib" (rgb As Ptr, width As Int16, height As Int16, stride As Int16, quality_factor As Single, ByRef output As Ptr) As Uint16

dim mb as new memoryblock(4096) // I truly have no idea how big to make this

dim result as Uint16 = WebPEncodeRGB Lib "libwebp.dylib" (rgb, width, height, stride, quality_factor, mb) 

[quote=441040:@Norman Palardy]the ptr is not a uint8
this

uint8_t** output);

which in xojo parlance for a param is a byref ptr (byref means “ptr to”) so in in this case byref ptr is “ptr to a ptr to”

[code]
Declare Function WebPEncodeRGB Lib “libwebp.dylib” (rgb As Ptr, width As Int16, height As Int16, stride As Int16, quality_factor As Single, ByRef output As Ptr) As Uint16

dim result as Uint16 = WebPEncodeRGB Lib “libwebp.dylib” (rgb, width, height, stride, quality_factor, mb)
[/code][/quote]

Yes, that’s it. I just don’t know how to allocate and pass the pointer to this structure. It seems like Xojo is not letting the lib to manage the memory. When I create a Null Ptr and pass it ByRef, the code works ok, but I don’t have the address to read the bytes, and if I create and allocate a MemoryBlock and pass its Ptr, it crashes with [quote]EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)[/quote] .

What am I doing wrong?

without seeing your code I have no idea
it could be rgb or any of the other params that is causing this but without seeing the code that sets those we up cant tell

this

uint8_t** output);

[code]
Declare Function WebPEncodeRGB Lib “libwebp.dylib” (rgb As Ptr, width As Int16, height As Int16, stride As Int16, quality_factor As Single, ByRef output As Ptr) As Uint16

dim result as Uint16 = WebPEncodeRGB Lib “libwebp.dylib” (rgb, width, height, stride, quality_factor, mb)
[/code][/quote]
Can you point me how to write the declaration and allocate the memory? I already have the structure, I just don’t know how to use Dim to allocate the memory for it.

Thanks for your help.

[quote=441045:@Aziel R. Pereira Jr.]Can you point me how to write the declaration and allocate the memory? I already have the structure, I just don’t know how to use Dim to allocate the memory for it.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]
This one I have tried, and it crashes with EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

[quote=441045:@Aziel R. Pereira Jr.]Can you point me how to write the declaration and allocate the memory? I already have the structure, I just don’t know how to use Dim to allocate the memory for it.
[/quote]
Are you using a Structure? If so you simply dim struct as mystructurename. That allocates the memory. If you want to use a MemoryBlock, then

dim mb as MemoryBlock
mb = New MemoryBlock(size)

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

[quote=441044:@Norman Palardy]without seeing your code I have no idea
it could be rgb or any of the other params that is causing this but without seeing the code that sets those we up cant tell[/quote]

Libwebp is probably also using pthreads you should be aware that xojo is not actually compatible with pthreads depening on their usage.

ok, I will serach if they use pthreads.

this

uint8_t** output);

[code]

[/code][/quote]
Sorry for the mistake, When I try this way, Xojo raises en error:

[quote]Parameter “output” expects type Ptr, but this is class MemoryBlock.
Dim result As Uint16 = WebPEncodeRGB(inputRGB, image.Width, image.Height, image.Width * 4, 50, output)
[/quote]

Ok, I have succeeded to make the code run. In fact, I’ve removed ByRef, and passed the memoryblock. Now the code runs, and the lib returns the size. Now I will try to manipulate the output memory.

Thank You all!

Did you change your Int parameters too? Int in usual C terms is not Int16 but Int32.