Need MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) Installer

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 months ago

Douglas H

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@jim m Nope, and I'm a bit concerned by Apple making it much more difficult to get an older installer.

My understanding is that anyone who "purchased" them via App Store download link at the time can still get to them from their Purchased tab in the MAS. But with the caveat the request has to come from a machine running a macOS where the intended download is still installable.

In other words, to re-download an older macOS version installer, I have to request the download from a machine or VM also running an appropriately older macOS version. Fortunately, you can then cancel out of the installer once it launches, and be left with a file you can archive out to media for future use.

3. Douglas H

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Tim J Ooh, Ohh, Pick Me! I know the answer to that one - they want developers running the same version as end users.

But that is precisely why we need access to old versions -- end users don't necessarily upgrade...

4. Bob K

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Kansas City

Everything going well except for MacOS Yosemitie 10.10. Install message on Sierra: “This copy of the Install OS X application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X.” Might have to install 10.11 first to be able to install 10.10. This is *fun*.

5. Karen A

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers

BTW thanks for the links, they were useful for me too...

I am in the process of installing High Sierra on a late 2009 27" i7 iMac... It's the newest OS that machine can run.

- karen

6. Emile S

Jun 10 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Douglas H end users don't necessarily upgrade

Just like Apple and you, everyone prefer to support only one OS version (the less number of versons, the better).

Look what some developers do with Catalina (, last Windows and Linux versions, as soon as they are out…) first alpha are installed on production machine(s) and people cry for single "behaviours” (included me, sometimes, long time ago).

Oh, and remember, old software version need old hardware (2019 hardware does not runs 2010 OS].

7. Jean-Yves P

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Bob K Everything going well except for MacOS Yosemitie 10.10. Install message on Sierra: “This copy of the Install OS X application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X.” Might have to install 10.11 first to be able to install 10.10. This is *fun*.

I tried to install 10.10 on a customer machine not so long ago, and there was an error, certainly caused by expired certificates.
    I ended up installing 10.11, which works on almost the same machine as 10.10

8. Beatrix W

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

The last time I installed something really old I had to change the system clock of the computer to some date around the date of the installer. As workaround for the expired certificates.

9. Jean-Yves P

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

@Beatrix W The last time I installed something really old I had to change the system clock of the computer to some date around the date of the installer. As workaround for the expired certificates.

tried this, but this did not work for my 10.10 installation...

10. Emile S

Jun 11 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Do you remember the originally installed OS version ?

11. Jean-Yves P

Jun 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

I don't have any problem with this installation: I installed 10.11 and it's closed now... but was unable to reinstall 10.10 on it apple installer gave errors I assume it was expired certificates.

12. Art G

Jun 11 Prescott AZ

Didn't see anyone mention that MacOS installers going way back (I saw 10.3.9 in there) are available in your Developer account under the "More" tab.

13. Bob K

Jun 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Kansas City

I was able to get 10.9 to install but not the Hackintosh version of 10.10. Anyone still have Yosemite installer?

14. Norman P

Jun 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

yup

15. Tim P

Jun 12 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

If you have Homebrew you can install a command line interface for the Mac App Store Using the command line tool, you can install Mac App Store software directly by ID. There's a handy list of Mac OS Installer IDs here

16. Art G

Jun 12 Prescott AZ

Can't you just login to your Developer account and download it? I see 10.3.9 in there under "More".

17. Tim P

Jun 12 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY
    Edited 5 months ago

@Art G Can't you just login to your Developer account and download it? I see 10.3.9 in there under "More".

Those are updaters only, and not full installers.

18. Beatrix W

Jun 12 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

Just be aware of https://applehelpwriter.com/2018/03/21/how-homebrew-invites-users-to-get-pwned/ when using Homebrew.

or Sign Up to reply!