Strange IDE events

Has anyone else experienced this?
I was moving controls around in a window, and all of a sudden the ADD EVENTS window opened… I was just dragging a control.
other times I have had the entire IDE suddenly shrink to minimum window size.

This has occurred in both 2018 and 2019 (macOS)

I’ve seen things like this when there’s been dirt in my keyboard.

except this is happening just with mouse events… .not even touching the keyboard :frowning:

Failing mouse cables can send weird click signals. Usually an interrupt “lets go” while dragging. I wouldn’t rule out additional clicks causing the Event Handler sheet to open.

Even it that were the case… how does that explain the “Add Events” window? Since the only way I know is to actively select it from the dropdown…?

Or double click on the control?

It doesn’t really help you, but to answer your question: no, I’ve never ever seen this, using RB/RS/Xojo since 1998 from Mac OS 8.1 to macOS Catalina, 12+ hours a day.

If you double click on a control with no event handlers implemented, the Add Event Handler sheet will be shown for convenience.

Bad mouse wires can cause clicks when you don’t expect them if the interrupts are timed right.

learn something new every day (or perhaps remember something previously forgotten)

No,no, that’s a mistake. You are just as i getting to an age that you gathered so much wisdom and knowledge that it takes a little longer to get at the wanted subject! That’s all! :wink:

Maybe you clicked to select, then clicked to drag too quickly.

It has seemed like Xojo’s double-click fires differently from the rest of the OS. Maybe the second click is timed from after the selection is complete(click handler end) rather than from when the actual click occurred(click handler begin). So if there’s a lag in the selecting of controls, double-click is fired incorrectly on a second click.

I’ve developed a habit of click… wait… wait… then click again when working in Xojo.

No idea about the window resizing thing though.

Yeah… I will go with that story… :slight_smile:

I just did some testing and it seems like this is no longer the case, but…

The double-click is registered even if you’ve begun to drag… it seems like the double-click should only fire on mouse up of the second click… Right? A click-then click-drag shouldn’t be considered a double click should it?

I have recently had an external trackpad used with my MacBook Air go bad and cause lots of “stray” clicks and moves, sometimes without touching the trackpad. I could turn off the trackpad and back no or reboot and the problem would go away for a little while. Finally I took the batteries out of the trackpad and started using the built in trackpad and the problem never resurfaced. A new trackpad does not have the same problem.

[quote=440659:@jim mckay]I just did some testing and it seems like this is no longer the case, but…

The double-click is registered even if you’ve begun to drag… it seems like the double-click should only fire on mouse up of the second click… Right? A click-then click-drag shouldn’t be considered a double click should it?[/quote]
How can you test that?

I used Notes and Calendar to double click but keep the second click down and the second click activated even if I didn’t release the button. Maybe I need another app that have click-drag to test the behavior.

well I just ordered a couple of new wired mouse (mouses? mice?) and we will see if that changes anything

[quote=440930:@Alberto De Poo]How can you test that?

[/quote]
I wrote a little app that checked the mouse in a fast timer and compared with the double-click time reported by NSEvent. Xojo correctly responed to double-clicks regardless of the selection lag.

[quote=440930:@Alberto De Poo]I used Notes and Calendar to double click but keep the second click down and the second click activated even if I didn’t release the button. Maybe I need another app that have click-drag to test the behavior.

[/quote]
I suppose there’s no universal rule, but for example, double click a folder in Finder and drag on the second click instead of releasing. It doesn’t open the folder, it does a multi-select drag for me. It’s just more of a “what I’d expect” rather than right or wrong behavior.

I haven’t used a wired mouse in years (or keyboard for that matter). I do find they don’t like a sip of coffee though :slight_smile: