WWDC gotchas for Xojo developers?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 months ago

Sam R

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

In the Sandbox world; if you try this it will fail as the application will lose it's privileges to the file/folder. Apple recommend you use Security-Scoped Bodgemarks (sorry I threw up my breakfast); they are inherently bad due to time outs and incompatibility with Apple API, not to mention their incompatibility with every other database engine on the planet, apart from Apple's own CoreData.

Is your application Sandboxed?, if not I wonder if they've decided to port this 'security' over to non-sandboxed applications.

There are two alternative solutions; which are a little weird but are more effective than SSBs.

1. Use the correct API for storing recent documents, once you use the Apple Recent Items menu, your application will have unhindered access to those items.
    2. Use Window Restoration; and attach the folderitem as a NSDocument to the window. All the time you use this mechanism you have unhindered access to that folderitem (until that window is closed).

I have submitted several feature requests to Apple to create a better solution than SSBs, (I clearly list the reasons why and why each suggestion would maintain security, yet make prevent the fallout of the holes in SSBs). Each one has been rejected and so have my bug reports about the issues regarding SSBs.

3. Christian S

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

As the beta is under NDA; I wait at least for the public beta in July before I add something publicly to my plugins for the new MacOS version.

4. Beatrix W

Jun 8 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

I pretty much used the code from Norman:

dim theFolder as FolderItem = SelectFolder
    if theFolder = Nil then Return
    dim SaveInfo as string = EncodeBase64(theFolder.GetSaveInfo(volume(0)))

dim NewFolder as FolderItem = Volume(0)
    NewFolder = NewFolder.getRelative(DecodeBase64(SaveInfo))
    if NewFolder = Nil then
      MsgBox "nothing there"
    else
      MsgBox "folder: " + NewFolder.NativePath
    end if

Quite simple, no preferences.

On High Sierra I get the "folder: " message. In Catalina I get "nothing there". Not sure if this is a bug in Xojo or not. As for Xojo itself it just uses the NativePath so it's not surprising that the preferences work fine.

@Sam R : urgh... After your enthusiastic description of the bookmarks I really hadn't wanted to use them. I only have one folder I might need to use for the Sandboxed version. The non-Sanboxed version absolutely needs to save folders because it's writing files into those folders. But simple NativePaths seem to work fine.

5. Emile S

Jun 9 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    dim NewFolder as FolderItem = Volume(0)

Do you have the right to write there ? And under Cataline ?

6. Norman P

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

I've tried this on 10.15 and GetRelative fails regardless of what mode the saveinfo was created
    I've tried all three modes and in my code

Dim newFolderFromPrefs As FolderItem = FolderFromPrefs.getRelative(theSaveInfo)

always fails and returns NIL every time

The saveinfo _seems_ to be created ok (its hard to know since it is binary data that I dont know the internals of) but the saveinfo is not empty or nil

7. Beatrix W

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

So it's a bug in Xojo?

8. Christian S

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

Maybe the old code to resolve alias files is broken in 10.15?

9. Norman P

would seem to be

10. Beatrix W

Okay, here we go: <http://feedback.xojo.com/case/55977>

11. Norman P

Use copy sharing link instead of HTTP link as its not clickable in the forum
    Feedback Case #55977

12. Christoph D

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 4 months ago

Add these two macOS 10.15 issues with Xojo:

SpecialFolder.Trash and GetFolderItem are broken.

Feedback Case #55979

Feedback Case #55980

13. Tim J

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

Before everyone starts getting angry with Apple or Xojo, I've had a discussion with my developer liaison about a few deep issues in this macOS developer release, and while I can't disclose the issues discussed, I can pass on that we should hold off on making changes to our apps for any issues that we are witnessing in our apps or tools (including Xcode) until the first public BETA is pushed.

They do want us to report to them (Apple) on security and filesystem access issues, but there will be some pretty hefty modifications between what we are seeing versus what will be in that first public access push.

14. Sam R

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Tim J They do want us to report to them (Apple) on security and filesystem access issues, but there will be some pretty hefty modifications between what we are seeing versus what will be in that first public access push.

Thanks Tim for relaying this information.

15. Wayne G

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

@Greg OLone That doesn’t help. We still can not guarantee that everyone there is an Apple Developer.

Correct.

16. Beatrix W

@Time Jones: even for Apple this is beyond stupid. How can I report on issues when I don't know what they are going to change?

17. Robin L

Jun 9 Xojo Inc Europe (Germany, Rehlingen)
    Edited 4 months ago

Tiny 'gotcha' for English(UK) users of 10.15. The 'Trash' has been renamed 'Bin'. So now when deleting a file/s or folder/s the menu entry reads "Move to Bin". My first thought why do I want to move a deleted file to the '/bin' folder! :)

The 'bucket' on the app bar thing is now labelled 'Bin' and right-clicking shows "Empty Bin". That might worry people for a second or two for the same reason as above! :)

I'm assuming this is a recent renaming of 'Trash' to 'Bin' since my 10.14.6 (which also uses English(UK)) has a 'Trash' can.

'Rubbish' might have been a more apt term. Probably has too many letters though :)

18. Gavin S

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers UK

@Robin L-Mitchell Tiny 'gotcha' for English(UK) users of 10.15. The 'Trash' has been renamed 'Bin'.

I thought you were joking but I've just checked and sadly you weren't. Yuck! I'll stick to US region settings now.

19. Tim J

Jun 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ
    Edited 4 months ago

@Beatrix W @Tim Jones: even for Apple this is beyond stupid. How can I report on issues when I don't know what they are going to change?

The way they described it was to report anything - but don't try to fix your code ... YET. They know that things are going to be "possibly broken", but they "believe" - my word not theirs - that developers will understand these issues for what they are and help get the worst of the worst reported.

Remember, if you're not a registered Apple Developer, you shouldn't even have access to this version/build.

20. Emile S

Jun 10 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Synonyms of 'Bin' are:Liars, Nigel, Boris, … ;)
    (yes, liars, not Lars…)

21. Tim S

Jun 10 Canterbury, UK

@Robin L-Mitchell Tiny 'gotcha' for English(UK) users of 10.15. The 'Trash' has been renamed 'Bin'. So now when deleting a file/s or folder/s the menu entry reads "Move to Bin". My first thought why do I want to move a deleted file to the '/bin' folder! :)

'Rubbish' might have been a more apt term. Probably has too many letters though :)

or 'WasteBasket' which is what it used to be called 25 years ago. Trouble with 'Bin' is that what we put in the Rubbish or Bins tends to be less pleasant. What you put in a 'WasteBasket' is unwanted papers and the like.

or Sign Up to reply!