Feedback case 55160 comments

Today I found <https://xojo.com/issue/55160> and on Mac, I didn’t understand what was the problem.
On mac, you open New IDE Script and then you have a new window but the menu still say Xojo and you know if you do a File → Exit, you are exiting Xojo and not just the IDE Script window.

So I fired up my Windows machine. On windows the IDE Script window has a menu on that window and because you are not in the full IDE it is easy to think that the File → Exit there is just to close that window, why? because that window is completely different that the ‘normal’ Xojo window.

The case is closed for comments, that’s why I opened this.

How hard will be to change File → Exit, just for the IDE Script Window to File → Close?
Don’t you think that will help people to not make the mistake of completely closing Xojo when they just wanted to close that window?
I know is just a little thing, and I don’t know how many people working with Xojo in Windows usually close Xojo by doing File - Exit on the IDE Script Window, but my (wild) guess is that most people could end use that File - Exit just wanting to close the window.

I rarely use File - Exit on Windows, normally I just click the red cross, don’t know if most people do that too, so maybe this request will benefit just a handful of people, but for me it makes sense (of course what makes sense to me know will not make sense when I have more experience).

Thank you for reading.

Edit: I understand this is not a bug.

[quote=438242:@Alberto De Poo]Today I found <https://xojo.com/issue/55160> and on Mac, I didn’t understand what was the problem.
On mac, you open New IDE Script and then you have a new window but the menu still say Xojo and you know if you do a File → Exit, you are exiting Xojo and not just the IDE Script window.

So I fired up my Windows machine. On windows the IDE Script window has a menu on that window and because you are not in the full IDE it is easy to think that the File → Exit there is just to close that window, why? because that window is completely different that the ‘normal’ Xojo window.
[/quote]
The IDE script editor IS part of the IDE.
Its just a custom window for editing IDE scripts not projects.
On the Mac, because the IDE will operate with no open project, you can open the IDE and open just a script editing window.
And when you quit you’re still quitting the entire IDE

I too have lost code because of this issue so I have changed Xojo to keep running even after closing the “last window” and it seems to get around this issue. Edit>Options>General>When closing last window - Keep Xojo running.

<https://xojo.com/issue/51227>

The only thing you have to watch out for is <https://xojo.com/issue/54509> when using this method.

[quote=438250:@Norman Palardy]The IDE script editor IS part of the IDE.
Its just a custom window for editing IDE scripts not projects.
On the Mac, because the IDE will operate with no open project, you can open the IDE and open just a script editing window.
And when you quit you’re still quitting the entire IDE[/quote]

I guess what I’m trying to say was lost in translation, sorry about that.

Yes, I understand the IDE script editor is part of the IDE.
I understand is a custom window for editing IDE scripts not projects.

On Mac, because there is only 1 menu, is easy to understand that if you go to Xojo -> Quit Xojo, it will quit Xojo and of course the IDE Script Editor.

On Windows, you have a menu on the ‘IDE projects’ window and another one on the ‘IDE scripts’ window, both say File - Exit and is not clear that both will close Xojo completely.

I don’t expect going to the IDE scripts menu and select Run and execute the main project, why can I expect that if I select Exit on the IDE script menu Xojo will close completely?

How many programmers close Xojo by doing a File - Exit on the IDE Script window? My guess is that only a very few and most by mistake, plus the cases mentioned by Julian, that I think is the ‘reverse’ problem, he wants to continue working on a script even if he close main project window (hope I understand that correctly).

If Julian has lost code, imagine what could happen to new users.

New users typically don’t use IDE scripting.