DragItem folderItem to Finder: the file is moved not copied

I just realized that if I’m doing a Drag within a window, and I set the DragItem.folderItem… then if the user drags out of my window to a Finder window, then the finder does a file move which is really not what I wanted and seems a dangerous default behavior.

I like havinging the folderItem set, because many other apps do a useful or sensible behavior (for example, drag a folderItem of a PNG to Safari, safari will load and display the PNG).

But the Finder’s default behavior of moving the file is not what I want.

Is there some way to control this? (I’d be OK if the Finder defaulted to copying the item, for example)

As a workaround, create a copy of the folder item you want to have copied instead of moved, and let the finder move the copy?

Not a bad idea, but impractical in this case, as its a video/photo editing app and might have 1000s of multi-megabyte items.

I wonder if perhaps I can set a file URL instead of a folderItem, and still get the nice Safari behavior w/o the nasty Finder behavior?

On Windows, the behavior is the same - if you add a folderItem to a DragItem, a drag to the file Explorer does a move, just like macOS.

So I really need a solution that’s mac + windows.

hmmm… I can’t help on Windows.

1. So on the Mac we have the horrible “Promised” files; which would partially solve your problem. In the sense that your app would get notified when the drop occurred and given the location of where to copy the files too. However… This is a potentially a big however, the destination application needs all the plumbing to handle promised file drops (Finder okay, but others probably not).

2. Wait a minute… https://documentation.xojo.com/api/user_interface/desktop/dragitem.html#dragitem-destination
    So in theory you can check this property after the drop, and you should see the destination folderitem. As you already know the source location, you could in theory then copy the file back to it’s original location.

3. What if you simply check the path of the folderitem after the drop? Does it get updated with the new location? If so; now you know where the file was moved to (if at all)…

Some events such as https://documentation.xojo.com/api/deprecated/rectcontrol.html#rectcontrol-dragexit have an ‘action’ parameter (copy, move, link…) but it seems to be read-only. I wonder how the OS decides which action to use - I think what I want is to have a normal drag out of my app, but for it to behave as if the Option key was being held down so it does a copy rather than a move.

which keys are held down on macOS
at least thats what it SHOULD be looking at

I had a quicklook at the underlying API (for the macOS) and I couldn’t see a way to enforce which action to take. Which is why I made the suggestions that I did.