Code signing Windows executables with ExeWrapper: love it!

I just got myself a copy of Tim Parnell’s ExeWrapper and it works like a charm!
Now I am code signing my Windows builds directly from the Mac. Really a great tool.
Thanks Tim!

https://exewrapper.com

announced here:
https://forum.xojo.com/53846-announcing-exewrapper-code-sign-windows-executables-from-mac

I got myself a code signing certificate here:

I went to http://codesigning.ksoftware.net and clicked Buy an OV Code to get a new code signing certificate for Windows.
I followed the instructions in the subsequently coming emails.

1. Once I had received the confirmation that the Code signing certificate were ready, then I downloaded the user.crt file with the Firefox browser on Windows. I copied the link from the email to the browser and followed the instructions. Tip: Use the original Firefox browser from which the process was started, because the private.key is generated and stored in it.
  2. Now I went to Firefox Preferences, Advanced, Certificates, View Certificates, Your Certificates and then backup the certificate including the private key to the file mycert.p12, using a password like hTMyd4iB How to Export
  3. Then I loaded the .p12 file with ExeWrapper
  4. Added Folder with Windows executables
  5. Pushed Sign Files button

If I remember right, to get a certificate it helped to request it as a company. I provided a link to our commercial registry and to our website. The whois entries for the website owner did match the data entered for the certificate request (including the email). The whois entries must therefor be public.

I once tried to ask for a certificate as an individual and then they wanted me to go to a local notary to have my identity certificated. Which cost a lot of money and time. So requesting a certificate as a company goes much faster.

If you like, you could demonstrate it in a short 15 minute session at the conference!

Without question this is nice and helpful tool. But in the end ExeWrapper seems to be mainly a UI wrapper around osslsigncode which is licensed under GPLv3+. I’m unsure whether this is compatible with ExeWrapper’s licence at least I’d expect it to mention osslsigncode and it’s licence, but IANAL.

osslsigncode has been abandonware for a while. “Feel free to create your own forks etc”, says the author. Nevertheless, Tim has put attribution in the About box and he hasn’t modified the binary anyway.

Very helpful indeed.

[quote=436666:@Oliver Osswald]I just got myself a copy of Tim Parnell’s ExeWrapper and it works like a charm!
Now I am code signing my Windows builds directly from the Mac. Really a great tool.
Thanks Tim!
[/quote]
Thanks for your support! I’m glad it’s working well for you!

I made the batch tool because I work on Mac all day and have a lot of Windows things to sign. Something had to be done about how much of a process it all was! I thought I’d share my labor of love with the world :slight_smile:

Weeks of testing went into making sure it works for clean installs of macOS, but if anyone has any issues please reach out to me. I’m happy to answer questions or concerns privately via email.