Transparency issue 2019r1

I’m having transparency issues with 2019r1 (Windows 10).

Example: I make two identical labels with text “TEXT.” I place one on top of its mate, adjust it two pixels down and two pixels right (to create a shadow effect), change the color of the top one, click on the transparency property. It looks great on the IDE but when I run the program the top label simply covers the one beneath it.

Anyone else having this problem?

Note: I’m an amateur programmer.

Don’t put controls over each other. Shadows are out anyways. Using a canvas instead of a label is a bit of a bother but not too hard.

[quote=436444:@Mark Jordan]I’m having transparency issues with 2019r1 (Windows 10).

Example: I make two identical labels with text “TEXT.” I place one on top of its mate, adjust it two pixels down and two pixels right (to create a shadow effect), change the color of the top one, click on the transparency property. It looks great on the IDE but when I run the program the top label simply covers the one beneath it.

Anyone else having this problem?

Note: I’m an amateur programmer.[/quote]

The documentation says NOT to overlap controls. The changelog says why and what is this behavior in transparency.

Use Canvas and Graphics.DrawString?

@Mark,
If you raise a Feedback case (possibly make it an Information Request) I’ll be able to drop a simple demo project into it.

Hm. I posted a reply earlier but it isn’t here so I’ll try again.

I can do canvases to get the transparency but one thing … why did it work on earlier versions of Xojo to use labels?

They changed the way Xojo apps draw labels on Windows…

Another Hm. Transparency doesn’t work with canvases either, at least not on the PagePanel on which I have this canvas.

Pretend the canvas is your label and draw two strings on it, the first being your shadow then the second as the text over the top.

As for why it was changed, long story very short, it was a bad implementation which was causing more problems than it fixed.