weblistbox hasfocusring

1. 3 weeks ago

dave d

May 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Australia

Is there anyway to turn off the hasfocusring on a weblistbox?

2. Greg O

May 6 Xojo Inc

Set UseFocusRing to False?

3. dave d

Weblistbox does not have a UseFocusRing property?

4. Tim P

May 6 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY
    Edited 3 weeks ago

I don't recall that working. I had to force the tab-order to -1 or some other weird hack to get it to stop using a focus ring (the last time I tried).

5. Michel B

May 6 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com
    Edited 3 weeks ago

Don't mess up with focus rings on a web app. Some users rely on them to navigate with the keyboard, instead of the mouse (much faster). It is also used by impaired users.

6. dave d

Its the only control on the page, its supposed to blend into the page, but when a user clicks it, this horrible bad colour square is displayed around it, for this screen, the focus ring screws up the look and feel.

7. Greg O

May 6 Xojo Inc

@dave d Weblistbox does not have a UseFocusRing property?

Doh, sorry. I read that as Listbox.

8. Michel B

May 6 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

The only way to suppress the focus ring would be to do some Javascript to remove it.

I would probably start here :
    https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_outline.asp
    https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_outline-color.asp

9. Christian S

May 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

Or use pagesource control to add css to a custom style to remove it.

10. Tobias B

May 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Bern, Switzerland

This page details on why not to remove the focus outline and shows how to do it: http://outlinenone.com

11. dave d

I have a high score table that users go to look at, they cannot edit it, but if they click on it there is an ugly focus ring. If I disable the control then theres a messy grey colour. The quickest solution seems to be to just use a canvas and draw the list. which is just a couple of lines, and easy for someone maintaining it to understand without looking for CSS code elsewhere.

Shame there is not a disable focus ring like the normal listbox.

12. dave d

Thanks Tobias for the comment, but there are circumstances as I have listed above why it can be necessary to remove the focus ring.

13. 5 days ago

Thomas T

May 19 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany, Munich)
    Edited 5 days ago

In my case, my app is only used by a small number of users, and I know that none of them need this feature. So I'd rather get rid of - and I have other custom controls in my view that don't support the focusring anyway, so it would only be a half-baked feature anyway. That's why Xojo should offer an option to turn them off.

or Sign Up to reply!