Kaju and Aloe Express

Again let me say I am pretty much clueless about web stuff… but I am thinking that in theory the combination of Kaju and Aloe Express could be a great combination for in-house LAN client/sever desktop apps with fat clients.

I know in general desktop fat clients are out of vogue and for general use WAN applications over the web the Web apps are certainly best…

But for in-house LAN applications at small companies I think this combination might be best. Fat Desktop apps are potentially more capable (less limited by browser limitations), IMO easier to code, can have better UIs. Being that much of the processing happens on teh clients it also and don’t necessarily need a high powered server…

The biggest downside after installation of fat clients is updating them… But Kaju potentially makes that go away.

If it is possible to use Kaju and Aloe Express together the result could be an efficient lightweight all Xojo solution for these types of apps…

The apps i write tend to be primarily for in-house use. Where I work does not have an IT groups or even a generally accessible file server. That has stopped me from doing some things I would have liked to… b

But setting up this type of reusable architecture would make doing a lot more things practical! (besides I don’t have a Web Edition license these days! :wink: )

So is coding that type of generic architecture to add Kaju support to Aloe Express (as a separate module) and client Kaju integration reasonable for someone who is web clueless and an intermediate Xojo coder to try to do?

Thanks,

• karen

I like the general idea, but don’t know what specific support might be needed. Kaju can work with any web server.

I have no idea! I have never used Kaju nor anything like it, nor ever set up a server of any sort… and I am clues about a lot of the security/permissions stuff as well as shell scripting on Xojo’s desktop platforms… I typically learn just enough to do what i need (and then often forget it) or find code that does it… I have never been in an environment where desktop admin access was restricted… which I guess is common.

With my lack of knowledge/understanding of web and some desktop technologies, I am wondering if learning what I would need to set it all up in a reasonable timeframe is within my capabilities. (that is why the question on how Aloe handles uploaded files). Despite using Xojo on and off for 18 years, I am not a pro like more than a few, here!

• Karen

[quote=435085:@Karen Atkocius]I have no idea! I have never used Kaju nor anything like it, nor ever set up a server of any sort… and I am clues about a lot of the security/permissions stuff as well as shell scripting on Xojo’s desktop platforms… I typically learn just enough to do what i need (and then often forget it) or find code that does it… I have never been in an environment where desktop admin access was restricted… which I guess is common.

With my lack of knowledge/understanding of web and some desktop technologies, I am wondering if learning what I would need to set it all up in a reasonable timeframe is within my capabilities. (that is why the question on how Aloe handles uploaded files). Despite using Xojo on and off for 18 years, I am not a pro like more than a few, here!

• Karen[/quote]

For a InHouse update server, this days you can use any Easy to install LAMP server (Or WAMP or MAMP) It is easy to deploy and can be used with Kaju