ListBox Memory Leak with Paint

I’m getting a major memory leak when updating cells on a ListBox in 2019r1 with CellTextPain and CellBackgroundPaint added, even with return false.

Previously working app leaks up to 64GB.

I’ve made a simple app with ListBox and a timer that updates some cells repeatedly. Leaks until out of memory.

Removing the paint events removes the problem.

s.bmon.ky/ListBoxLeak.xojo_binary_project

I ran you app as-is under Xojo2018r4 and it used 42.4meg of memory, and didn’t seem to change
however, when I ran it with 2019r1 if consumed 1.1meg more memory every few seconds

so I would submit a feedback request if I were you…

[quote=434809:@Dave S]I ran you app as-is under Xojo2018r4 and it used 42.4meg of memory, and didn’t seem to change
however, when I ran it with 2019r1 if consumed 1.1meg more memory every few seconds

so I would submit a feedback request if I were you…[/quote]

Please file a bug request or Xojo won’t know about it. This is something they need to know about.

Scott… you were addressing that to the OP, and not to me, right? :slight_smile:

<https://xojo.com/issue/55596>

Hopefully fixed soon as most of my apps revolve around ListBoxes and currently require restarts every few hours.

Looks like RuntimeGraphicsClip method leaks 64byte allocation per cell redraw!

Yes @Dave S … I was speaking to the group as a whole but specific the OP.

I will let the engineers know that it is out there.

No news yet? Really critical bug to all my active development.

Right, because as Scott said, we were all at XDC last week. Fixing bugs like this typically take several hours and at the conference it’s rare to have time like that available. But it’ll get looked at.

Where did Scott say that?

No need to snap at a customer of 5 years.

It’s perfectly reasonable for me to ask for updates and be keen to have this fixed when this non-cosmetic bug is preventing me using and releasing products which are now a major part of my livelihood.

[quote=435902:@James Cooksey]Where did Scott say that?

No need to snap at a customer of 5 years.

It’s perfectly reasonable for me to ask for updates and be keen to have this fixed when this non-cosmetic bug is preventing me using and releasing products which are now a major part of my livelihood.[/quote]
It wasn’t my intention to snap. I was merely trying to restate the fact that we were all otherwise engaged when this conversation began.

This feedback case was created May 3, 2019 and fixed on May 8, with several days in XDC and travel.
For me is a very good response time.
Thank you @William Yu

[quote=435905:@Alberto De Poo]This feedback case was created May 3, 2019 and fixed on May 8, with several days in XDC and travel.
For me is a very good response time.
[/quote]

Fixed is good… but A bug fix that has not been released is effectively not fixed for us… That IMO was a very significant bug that R1 introduced.

Hopefully there will be a point release soon, or R2 will be released significantly sooner than 2 (or more!) months from now… and does not introduce other bugs in existing functionality.

• karen

It was never stated in the first place, I’m not sure where you think it was? I had no idea your team were at XDC, or travelling.

There was no reason for this to turn toxic, I only asked for an update and mentioned the importance and urgency of the issue.

Since asking, William Yu has reported it fixed and closed the Feedback case which is great news.

Some information on whether the fix (post testing) will be made available would be helpful.

James, what is your deadline (date of release) ?

just try to re-install previous Xojo version and compile with it. it should even issue no error.

James, cool down. Read again what was written but with a calm voice and you’ll realize that nobody snapped at you.

That is what Gred did…

Let me guess the when: in the next release ?