Xojo vs nodejs

I saw this link today

https://www.similartech.com/compare/nodejs-vs-xojo

I was shocked , it’s like comparing visual C to foxpro

Now way to even comment on it

Dave

That is a joke.
Xojo’s web edition is not used for public websites.

The underlying tech is kinda similar actually. Single threaded event loop based runtimes with full OOP.

Node advantages include:

• Entirely asynchronous framework
  • Faster event loop
  • Huge library of code
  • Very reliable sockets

Xojo advantages include:

• Compiled source code
  • Easier language to understand

The comparison is flawed because it only takes into account applications exposed on the public network. Across all targets I guess there would be more Xojo apps than NodeJS apps considering the number of developers and age of the frameworks.
It also doesn’t mention Xojo can compile to console apps.

After reading the “web page”, I understand what Christian would say.

I already empty articles (articles that gives nothing to the reader), but this is a chef-d’œuvre of nothing.

Intox site. Not worth any time to read it.

[quote=434129:@Eric Wilson]The comparison is flawed because it only takes into account applications exposed on the public network. Across all targets I guess there would be more Xojo apps than NodeJS apps considering the number of developers and age of the frameworks.
It also doesn’t mention Xojo can compile to console apps.[/quote]

Nah - all targets combined I guarantee there are more Node processes running.

True enough if the measure is concurrent users but probably not apps as in unique solutions.

Nope. As of late 2016 there was nearly 500k npm packages alone. That’s libraries you can use in your node programs. We know there are less libraries than programs… and JavaScript/node ecosystem has continued to grow.

Can’t one Website use hundreds of packages and one package can be used by hundreds of sites? If it’s a many-to-many relationship, I reckon the Website count of 120K as to the number of solutions out there is a more realistic measure. That is not to say node.js ain’t bigger than Xojo - looks like it is. But what’s the QA like on all those packages? How many are supported and by whom?

Bored now …

The QA at Xojo isn’t anything to write home about. Open source packages allow you to fix them, whereas the only fix for 2018r4 not being able to POST data on Windows is to wait for 2019r1.

Sure I find QA issues in the Linux IDE quite annoying, but Node.js only targets the Web - so it’s target to QA is quite limited compared with Xojo. Plus you’re stuck being a “Web developer” unless you embrace something else as well anyway.

What is the problem with the reallity? Shure, there are hundres of private xojo web apps, also thousands of private node private ones. We all know xojo is not as popular as other enviroments. What is the problem in accepting the fact?

I don’t think it’s a slant against Xojo - but we shouldn’t be misleading either which is why I push back. FYI node and npm packages are also used in lots of desktop apps via Electron. Npm packages and JavaScript also used in React Native… so there is no comparison and to Ivan’s point there doesn’t have to be.

Electron … ick …

Fair enough, but any way you look at it, after the free-OSS sugar hit, coding and maintaining JavaScript is expensive in the long run - developers cost more and are less productive. That is why we use JavaScript libraries as we do only when necessary. I think our Xojo to JavaScript development ratio is in excess of 1000:1 and I’m happy to keep it that way for as long as possible.

I started an employee portal project for employees to record their work hours a couple of years ago using Nodejs and several NPM packages to help speed up development time. We host it on a small dedicated Linux server and we have 300+ employees using it every day. It’s never given us any problems. Today the software includes much more than employee time management, so it takes a pretty good beating.

I looked at the link and thought it was a pointless comparison.

I like how it also compares NodeJS to VisualStudio. One being a framework and the other being an IDE
….but by far the best is VisualStudio vs Asp.Net … Apparently Visual Studio is not driving as many websites as the ASP.NET framework that is developed in it :wink: