explain Xojo database to me

I have a very simple need for a database. I have XOJO lite. I would need 3 columns, name, duration, description.

1. can XOJO lite handle this simple need
  2. where is the database stored
  3. would it work on both desktop/laptop and/or mobile device
  4. there would be upward for 5,000 records
  5. could you add records from the web
  6. sorting by duration is 1st, name 2nd

thanks for any help you can be

About XOJO lite:

1. Yes
  2. Where you store the file
  3. Yes/Yes, No
  4. Yes
  5. No
  6. Yes, SQL

https://documentation.xojo.com/api/databases/sqlitedatabase.html

1. yes
  2. where ever you tell Xojo to put the file that holds the database
  3. yes, yes and YES if you have the right kind of license to build for iOS (they all use Sqlite as the database engine)
  4. no problem
  5. yes - but again you need to have the right kind of license if you plan to build a web app
  6. no issue

So I guess some admin person would have to be the one to add all the records.

I guess you could store the file on your desktop or do you need a server.

Many people could access the database from the web.

Would each user need a license for their device to access the database.

Your app could

locally works best
I would not share a db like sqlite using a file server ( see Appropriate Uses For SQLite specifically the nots about Situations Where A Client/Server RDBMS May Work Better )

Not directly no since a web site is not a file server OR a database server - and neither is sqlite (see the notes on sqlite.org)
You’d have to have some kind of “web server app” that took requests from your software, read the db, and returned that data to the “client” app via a secure API
Basically you cannot directly read a sqlite db from a web site

No but see my previous answer

In the end, it all depends on what you are trying to build. If it is a desktop app to gather data from websites then the Lite version SQLite database on the desktop would be sufficient as a personal database. You will need to find a way to get the data off the websites and store it to your database.

If however you are building a web application hosted on a server then you need the Web Version of Xojo which can use SQLite or a proper client server based database engine like MySQL or PostgreSQL or something to that nature. A Web application would be one where you host and many different clients be it on Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS or Android can access through the web browser.

SQLite is a public domain based self contained database engine which can be freely used without licensing fees.

what I would need is a database of 5,000 - 10,000 records.
Users have to access the database.
Would it be a global website or a webpage that only works at work with the database on the desktop.
How could it exist that many people can access the database.

a couple options

1. something like PostgreSQL or some other database “server”

2. you write an app that behaves LIKE a database server that can access the sqlite database so you do not have many people trying to access the same sqlite database at the same time

Personally I’d pick option 1 since postgresql is a pretty darned powerful database server that is 100% FREE for any use
And there are simple installers for pretty much every major OS (see https://www.postgresql.org/download/)

But to access this from Xojo you need the right kind of license

easier postgres installers for macos or windows here : https://www.openscg.com/postgresql/installers/

The MBS Xojo SQL Plugin can be used with Xojo Lite (and higher versions) to connect to various databases.
Just use the SQLConnectionMBS class. Using SQLDatabaseMBS class needs better Xojo license.

Is there’s a document “How to install for use with Xojo” ?
If so, URL ?
excludes SQLite since there is nothing to install. One can replace that with PostgreSQL (or any other shared db).

This totally fit the op question, but expand it from Me to Anybody (everybody) :wink:

[quote=434347:@Emile Schwarz]Is there’s a document “How to install for use with Xojo” ?
If so, URL ?
excludes SQLite since there is nothing to install. One can replace that with PostgreSQL (or any other shared db).

This totally fit the op question, but expand it from Me to Anybody (everybody) ;)[/quote]

Shure: https://documentation.xojo.com/api/databases/database.html