Xojo UI suggestion for inadvertent "Commenting" of code

Hi,

The following happened to me twice in the last week… I use Xojo on Windows 10 (Parallells VM) on an iMac 27 2018 24 gb RAM 500gb SSD.

After debugging my app, I made a build and tested but did not work. Each time, I found out that the problem was a line of code that was “turned into a comment” that should not be.

I found out that this unwanted “commenting” happened when the Debugger is stopping and I’m clicking the “Stop Button” because my command was not executed.

At that moment, the “Stop Button” is replaced by the “Comment Button”. You think you clicked the stop button but you the “Comment Command” was executed instead.

I think there are several ways to approach that issue. A very simple one would be to place the stop/resume commands somewhere else. From my point of view, the real problem resides in the fact that the interface may sometimes react slowly to user commands and doesn’t “communicate” well it’s status. When coming back to Xojo from another window, the first click brings xojo back to focus and normally the following clicks are taken into account. Sometimes, it seems they are not. You wait but nothing happens. You click again and your command is executed. Sometimes you don’t wait and click again but the command was already running. I think that’s what is happening with the “Stop Button” that is clearing the way to the “Comment Button” while you click it again.

I’m not here to here to give lessons to anyone, I’m sure that if you had to review my apps, you’d have a lot to say… :wink:

In conclusion, I was lucky that the lines inadvertently switched to comment were executed so I can fix them right away. It would be appreciated that the interface would indicate more clearly what is going on…

Thanks!

Note: I found it difficult to explain clearly the situation, my english being to limited to my taste…

I too have had this happen many many times, but I was unable to determine the WHY like Roger was…

Which version of Xojo are you using Roger?

My comment button isn’t anywhere near my stop debug button, could you post a screenshot of the layout in that area?

Cheers

I don’t know if when I experience this, it is for the exact reason that Roger mentions, but I has happened many times.

The Debugger Stop button is on a ribbon menu that changes to another Ribbon when Pressed, and the comment key is then two spaces to the right of where the Debug button HAD been (at least on my macOS Xojo 2018r4 version)

Here is a capture that shows that the buttons do overlap “in time and space”.

I’m on Xojo 2019 R1.

When the “Stop Button” disappears you happen to click on the “Comment Button”. You just need good timing… :slight_smile:

On Windows 10 Xojo 2019r1, I see what Dave saw. But my filter field is much smaller than yours. Resize it and the two buttons won’t line up any more.

That could fix it. I still think there should be something done to prevent that…

Interesting in the I have TWO buttons between the [+] and [comment] button where Roger doesn’t

Which 2 buttons?

Yeah, its when you’re looking at a non-window/layout related piece of code like a method in a module rather than a method on a window.

this is true
when the method is on the window there is a [Layout] and [Code] button in between
when the method is NOT on a window there is nothing between, so that is when this issue could occur

Yeah, if you hit it twice at the right time the comment button is basically there but the window hasn’t been repainted fully yet so you can click on the comment button that is about to appear.

Roger, would you like me to put in a little feedback ticket for this with a quick video as I see you mentioned issues with English?

<https://xojo.com/issue/39841>

Nice spot Tim, thanks.

Thank you Tim!

Sorry, my comment didn’t get into the post above -

We’ve been seeing this since the new IDE was released. It is, as Roger shows, the positioning of the two controls. It also affects all three platforms, not just Windows.

I just noticed why this issue doesn’t affect me. Normally I don’t use tabs in the IDE so there is no tab bar. So the Comment button is further up the screen, by the width of the tab bar. When I click Run, the tab bar materialises because now I have a tab for the project, and a second for debugging. So the Stop button is further down the screen and when I click it, debugging stops and the tab bar goes away. For me, there is no overlap.

I see… I like using tabs because it allows me to add breaks while debugging.