Xojo 2019 R1 bug

Hi,

is the bug known where the application while debugging crashes for no reason in the latest Xojo release?

We have a fairly complex project, which runs perfect in the Xojo 2018 R4 Version. When we run it on the current release, the application crashes randomly.

Is this known?

We see the same, probably has to do with alot of debug messages?

I’ts an annoying bug

Crash logs available?

I am quite ok with 2018R4 (Win desktop + console) now. While I am busy coding, I will postpone the move the the new version, just to avoid possible issues popping up when facing the deadline of the project.

This is called experience (or wisdom).

Mac or Windows?

The newer the version of macOS the less likely you get crash logs. Try to have a look at the Console.

Do you use any sockets? Between 2018r4 and 2019r1 there haven’t been that many changes except for the sockets.

nope, cause, not xojo crashes, but the debugger

[quote=432953:@Beatrix Willius]Mac or Windows?

The newer the version of macOS the less likely you get crash logs. Try to have a look at the Console.

Do you use any sockets? Between 2018r4 and 2019r1 there haven’t been that many changes except for the sockets.[/quote]

We use only MacOS. Yes, we use several websockets in our app.

Either try to disable the sockets or replace them with CURL. Even in 2018r4 I have had reports about crashing sockets.

Rewriting our code is not really a solution if there’s a bug in Xojo IMHO.

2018 R4 works well for us, but at this point we cannot switch to the current version.

@Lars Lehmann: [quote]2018 R4 works well for us, but at this point we cannot switch to the current version.[/quote]

That is, unfortunately, quite common with Xojo. In my case, 2018r3 worked well (but I couldn’t get a license since r4 was already out), 2018r4 did not work at all, and 2019r1 works well for me.

Sigh…

Do you want to find out what causes the bug or not? Or you can reduce the app until the bug goes away. Which I always think is the most awful process of all.

[quote=432963:@Beatrix Willius]Sigh…

Do you want to find out what causes the bug or not? Or you can reduce the app until the bug goes away. Which I always think is the most awful process of all.[/quote]
To be fair, replacing websockets with curl would not be easy either. They’re more like a persistent TCPSocket than an HTTPSocket.

I thought the websockets were typo because the OP talked about a desktop app. Checking, no, he didn’t. Sigh again. Then he has to go through the extreme fun of reducing the project until it doesn’t crash anymore.

[quote]@Stphane Mons

That is, unfortunately, quite common with Xojo. In my case, 2018r3 worked well (but I couldn’t get a license since r4 was already out), 2018r4 did not work at all, and 2019r1 works well for me[/quote]
A current Xojo license will let you compile any earlier version.

@Dean Davidge — Really?

I have been building an app that makes extensive use of sockets throughout the beta period and now with the release version and have not had any problems with that. I haven’t released anything compiled with 2019r1 yet, but am just doing a final build for testing now and will let you know if I have any problems. I am aware that they made changes to the new URLConnection class, but I don’t know if there were any changes to anything lower level than that.

The best thing you can do is to zip up the project and open a private feedback report to Xojo. If they can duplicate it then they can fix it, if you can’t collect any other info about where it’s happening then this is the best option. Otherwise they won’t even know where to start.

The reply from Xojo was:

[quote]
A Xojo license gives you access to previous releases of Xojo and of course you can build with them. You can always download any previous release of Xojo.[/quote]

As @Stéphane Mons said, that is, unfortunately, quite common with Xojo.

I still have to use 2016r4.1, for one proyect, 2017r3, for 2, 2018r3 for most and 2019r1 is working ok with the one updated to URLconnection. Sometimes Rewriting the code when xojo breaks the “framework” just to use the last release is not really worth it.