BEGINNER : Webhooks

First off I am a beginner, but I have general background knowledge (with gaps). I’m trying to understand where the gaps in my knowledge are so I can research the correct information. So here’s what I’m trying to do and maybe someone can point me in the right direction. If this not a good forum to ask these questions I would also appreciate if someone can direct me to a better website or forum.

I am currently trying to gain access to data from a website called “Teachable”. They don’t have a good API but instead have good webhooks. I’m trying to have a specific webhook give me access to a user’s information when they sign up for our course. I was hoping to have this webhook send me a JSON array, that I could then convert into a Python Dictionary (I’m using Python)… The issue is I’m having trouble figuring out how to connect this webhook in a way that I can use the data… And everyone seems to have a different solution…

When trying to set up the webhook Teachable asks for a “WebHook URL”… And this is where my understanding gets hazy… What is the simplest structure to get a webhook to give me access to it’s Data so I can begin writing software to manipulate the data?.. Do I need an AWS? Is there a way that I can just do it locally (until I have the software polished)? I currently have a functioning domain and my uncle said I should set up a subdomain for some reason? And if so i’m not exactly sure how to use that with a webhook… Basically, I’m lost… And I keep getting more and more complex answers. (I would like to avoid using third party software if possible)…

I’m trying to take this one step at a time, and I’m currently stuck here… Any guidance would be appreciated. Even if it is just directing me to resources I can study.

Thanks!

If you’re building this yourself, your endpoint will a page that you made on a public facing url, when the event is triggered, your site’s url will be called with the data.

Watch this for the basics and for a site that you can use as an endpoint for testing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUaDIH5ZXB8

Hope it helps.

I’ve signed up to attend Tim’s talk on this topic at the XDC…I know that might not help if you are not attending, but you could possible purchase the video afterwards.

https://www.xojo.com/xdc/sessions/info/dietrich/

A webhook is a uri that is usually called with the HTTP POST method. You would read the data from the POST body, which you’d have to look up how to do with Python.

Speaking of which… are you sure you’re in the right place? You don’t mention Xojo at all. For web hooks and Xojo, you’ll likely be looking to use Xojo Web Edition, but you mentioned you’re using Python. That’s ok, I use PHP for my web hooks, but I’m just trying to make sure you’re in the right place.