iOS TextInputCanvas Equivalent

For desktop applications there is the pretty powerful TextInputCanvas plugin from Xojo.
I’ve just had a look at the iOSCanvas and find there the three events “PointerDown”, “PointerDrag” and “PointerUp”, but I’m wondering if I have to emulate the native selection display in iOS on my own, or if there’s another way. Is there some kind of TextInputCanvas for iOS, or am I just treading the wrong path?

Rewriting a TextInputCanvas for iOS would be madness!

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I wonder if you can emulate something like Apple Page/MS Word for iOS in a Xojo application, similar to the Formatted Text Control by BKeeney Software.

You can use a UITextView.

I recommend you use Xcode however. Implementing everything you need for something like that in Xojo will be a nightmare.

Thanks for your post Jason.

Can you tell me, if UITextView (does Xojo have an equivalent?) is able to show pictures, tables etc. in text? Can it handle global Character- and ParagraphStyles?

iOSTextArea is a UITextView.
But you only have access to 10% of the native features.

Xojo isn’t made for something as complicated. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you ought to use the right tool.

[quote=432740:@Jeremie Leroy]iOSTextArea is a UITextView.
But you only have access to 10% of the native features.

Xojo isn’t made for something as complicated. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you ought to use the right tool.[/quote]
I think it’s probably less than 10%.

If I were wanting to implement everything I would start over with a iOSUserControl so I don’t have to jump through hoops with adding delegates. The main challenge will be giving it a reasonable to work with API since most of the formatting isn’t done by the control but by attributed strings as far as I can tell.

I agree completely with Jeremie: It could be done. But it shouldn’t be in Xojo imo.

Duplicating the functionality of the Xojo TextArea for iOS (but not with Xojo as mentioned) would not be terribly difficult. An exact syntax compatible control could very easily be created. As a matter of fact, one of my current projects will ultimately be including just such a control (Styleruns included)

Yeah like a lot of things in iOS it’s easier using Xcode.