Background web services

Hello, it’s been a while since I’ve developed with Xojo and I’ve never developed using the web platform. I have a question regarding web apps and services.

Is Xojo capable of performing actions when end users are not connected? An example application similar to task management or to do list software:

1. User logs in and creates a reminder and logs out
    2 The server emails or somehow notifies the user when it’s time to perform their “to do” items
  2. User back in to mark the item as complete

I’m sure items 1 and 3 are possible. But what about item 2 in my example?

Any input would be helpful!

i think if you use a timer yes

Make sure you use an instance of the Timer class, not WebTimer. WebTimer fires client side on a client’s browser. Timer runs in the application process on the server.

Thank you Etienne and Daniel!

I can confirm that this works with a stand-alone web application. I use this feature in a couple of projects.

[quote=432608:@Joseph Morgan]

1. User logs in and creates a reminder and logs out
    2 The server emails or somehow notifies the user when it’s time to perform their “to do” items
  2. User back in to mark the item as complete[/quote]

Xojo has many limitations. Each app can use jost a single core to do all its job. So, althought it is posible to do this, it is better if you create another app to do the background job.

That’s going to depend entirely on how the code is designed and the level of traffic. Properly written code and a thousand reminders a day? Should be no problem for a single core. Poorly written code or a million reminders a day? Now it’s probably time for separate apps.