Right Mouse Click :(

1. 5 months ago

Dave S

Mar 13 San Diego, California USA

I have always used a standard two button mouse on all my Mac computers.... so I can use a true right click as opposed to Ctrl-Left Click

Recently.... Right-Click doesn't "stick".. .meaning I right-click and a context menu appears, and then disappears as soon as I release the button, instead of staying until I make a choice or dismiss it. If I use Ctrl-LeftClick all works fine.

This has just recently become a problem.... has any one else experinced this.... its not just in Xojo

macOS Mojave 10.14.3

2. Norman P

Mar 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog

I'v e seen it as well - same use cases except I'm running 10.12 day in day out
    I didnt pay close attention to when it first started but I really noticed it in the IDE and its frustrating
    It also does it all over - Finder Pages Numbers Mail - you name it
    Seems something in maOS affected this but damned if I know what

3. Tim P

Mar 13 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

I haven't had this issue... yet. Are you guys using wired or wireless mice?
    Mine is a wired mouse and 10.14.3

4. Dave S

Mine is also wired ... a Logitech mouse

5. Norman P

Wired logitech
    I gave up on my magic mouse ages ago as the wireless would drop out right when you really didnt want it to

6. Dave S

@Norman P Wired logitech
    I gave up on my magic mouse ages ago as the wireless would drop out right when you really didnt want it to

or the batteries just "died".... the new model is "better", but I just noticed that my wife has gone back to a wired mouse on her new Mac-Mini so I guess she gave up on the wireless again as well.

7. Norman P

"Connection Lost" was the bane of my existence with that
    There's a reason a lot of gaming mice are wired
    "Oh damn I just died becuase .. wtf ... connection lost ?????" :P
    My needs are much more basic than that BUT staying connected is kind of fundamental

8. Dave S

Not sure yet if this fixed it... but initial testing seems like it may have...

System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Spring-Loading Delay [UNCHECK]

9. scott b

Mar 13 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

I see this on my Mac Pro using either a Wired Dell mouse or my Wireless Razor Gaming mouse. Yes most gaming mice are wired but I have a wireless one as it was used when I was traveling 100% of the time for the old job.

I am running 10.13 as I hate Mojave. That o/s almost got me to get rid of my Macs and go with Linux on the desktops/laptops. But that is a different rant.

thanks!
    --sb

10. Robin L

Mar 14 Xojo Inc Europe (Germany, Rehlingen)

Not a problem here. Using generic PC wireless mouse with 10.14.4 (18E205e).

11. Douglas H

Mar 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Dave S Not sure yet if this fixed it... but initial testing seems like it may have...

System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Spring-Loading Delay [UNCHECK]

I had to click the ? in the help desk to find out what that even adjusts! Amazing how long you can use an OS and not realize all the settings you can adjust. Based on the help text, I would not expect it to help in your right click scenario, but I wanted to thank you for making me look it up. I now know I want it checked but also to move my slider to the right to increase this delay. The help text:

Use the slider to specify how long an item has to be over a folder before the folder opens.

I sometimes have Finder open a folder when I am just trying to drag files to it. Now I know how to increase that delay...

12. @Douglas H — Well, usually I punch the screen and/or the keyboard, but it doesn't fix anything in the long term, I must admit :-)

13. Thomas R

Mar 14 Europe, France, Besancon

I use "MacUpdate Desktop" ans sometimes the Right-clic to show the contextual menu doesn't work. But it's really strange as it works with some applications and not with some other. I'm running El Capitan.

or Sign Up to reply!