SelectFolderDialog opens with a file (not a folder) selected

1. 3 months ago

Aaron H

Mar 8 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Xojo2018r4 Mac

Bug: SelectFolderDialog sometimes opens with a file selected (not always, just sometimes).

Obviously, files are supposed to be inaccessible (greyed out) in a select *folder* dialog. The user can unselect the file, and then it cannot be selected. I know I can set the initial directory, but I shouldn't have to in order to avoid this wrong behaviour. Anyone else see this happening?

2. Aaron H

Mar 8 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)
    Edited 3 months ago

Here's my workaround:

Public Function ShowSelectFolderDialog(promptTxt as string = "Select a destination folder.", buttonCaption as string = "Select") as Folderitem
      // start by assigning an existing folderitem that we know is not a directory
      dim f As FolderItem = App.ExecutableFile
      while not f.Directory
        // accept only a directory or a nil folderitem as the result of the dialog
        Dim dlg As New SelectFolderDialog
        dlg.ActionButtonCaption = "Select"
        dlg.PromptText = "Select a destination folder."
        f = dlg.ShowModal
        if f = Nil then exit while
      wend
      return f
    End Function

Then whenever I want a select folder dialog, I use:

dim f As FolderItem = ShowSelectFolderDialog

With this workaround, if a user clicks the Select button to dismiss the dialog with the erroneous file pre-selected, the dialog just remains open, until they either cancel or click away from the selected item to a folder, or click somewhere outside the list to select the parent directory of the erroneously pre-selected file. This works on Mac, not tested on Windows. I'm away from my Windows laptop so can't test this -- anyone want to try this code on Windows?

3. 2 months ago

Dale A

Mar 11 San Diego, California, USA

I understand the problem you are seeing but I don't see it on Windows 10 (Xojo 2018R4). Using the SelectFolderDialog on Windows, the only entries that appear at all are folders and shortcuts that point to folders.

or Sign Up to reply!